Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: this is from a member of a non bee forum i belong to.  (Read 5142 times)

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
this is from a member of a non bee forum i belong to.
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:12:54 pm »
he owns the land but not the bees.   the bee owner estimated the damage at 6k which i felt was very conservative since they damaged 67 hive.  the kids got caught because one showed up at school monday with stings around his eyes.  they thought they were getting back at the "mean man" that lived there.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: this is from a member of a non bee forum i belong to.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »
glad he got stung.  now i hope he and his parents have to pay up.  maybe a little work in the bee yard would be in order also.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
Oh, man... That poor beek! Hope the kids have to bust butt to pay up.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:40 pm »
i don't know about the financial  end but the beek declined to press charges saying he just wanted for it not to happen again.
i darn sure would be looking for cash and i think it would be a good idea to force those kids to help put things back together.
i might just have a positive effect on one of them to see what damage they did and how fascinating the bees are.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:07:30 pm »
This is one reason I am scared were to put my bees, if someone ain't stealing hives, they are knocking them over or running over them with trucks.  Hatred of bees is just ignorance.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:28:31 am »
Do you think it's actually hatred of bees or just literally sitting targets? I'm thinking the thrilling possibility of 100s of stings would get the adrenaline of a teen boy flowing. Who knows?
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »
How old was these kids?

It's one thing to teach a lesson to a young child, like when I got caught with a bunch of balloons as a 5 year old that I pocketed while my mom was not watching. My mom marched me back down the street to the store to face the consequences.

It's another to allow a 17 year old to get off scott free with the destruction.

Where were the parents?. The school noticed and knew something was wrong, but the parents are clueless of just not what happened, but the physical appearance of their child.

The child needs a lesson.

The parents are idiots.

The beekeeper perpetuated this or other behavior down the road by letting the kids get away with it.

I feel no sympathy.

Maybe next time, the real lesson for the parents will be a dead kid, shot from intruding on someones property. They may learn their lesson. I know the kids certainly will.

I'm surprised the landowner and beekeeper are not being sued from not having the proper signs and fencing, which endangered the lives of these young kids and possibly could of killed them from the stings. That is normally how this all plays out.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »
Targets of opportunity for bored teenage boys looking for excitement and to prove their toughness.  Sadly, it's something I could have done at that age.  I expect Karma to visit me someday with this at my hives.  Making them deal and work for the person whom they've done to pay off the debt, would be the most effective way to teach them a lesson that a person was adversely affected by their actions.  The embarrassment would teach them responsibility and humility at an age in their lives where there is little.  It could also start a friendship and an interest in bees.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:49:58 pm »
but the parents are clueless of just not what happened

for the most part i agree with you.  i do remember when my oldest, who had always been  honest and reliable, took up with some kids in school and started getting into some trouble.  it took me a long time to make the switch from believing what he was telling me, to realizing he'd become untrustworthy.  

even so....both the kids and parents need to be held accountable.  the kids so that they don't think they can get away with crap, and the parents so that they can realize that junior ain't the angel they may have thought him to be.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »
Targets of opportunity for bored teenage boys looking for excitement and to prove their toughness.  Sadly, it's something I could have done at that age.  I expect Karma to visit me someday with this at my hives.  Making them deal and work for the person whom they've done to pay off the debt, would be the most effective way to teach them a lesson that a person was adversely affected by their actions.  The embarrassment would teach them responsibility and humility at an age in their lives where there is little.  It could also start a friendship and an interest in bees.
Perfect solution, and a sympathetic one. I did stupid things at a young age, too.
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »

As much as I hate to admit it, this is how I became interested in taking care of sheep.  Some friends and I thought it would be fun to leave a gate open to see what would happen with sheep running all over the neighborhood.

In addition to my parents paying my/their portion of the damage, I was sentenced to put in 50 hours of service to the injured Shepherd.  One of my cohorts and myself became interested and developed a long friendship with a sheep mentor and lifelong love of sheep raising.  The best part is passing down to my children and grandchildren the subtle art of shepherding.

Now my grandson and I are learning beekeeping together. 

This beek passed on a great opportunity by giving them a pass.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:23:14 pm »
 I agree with BjornBee, that is what would happen in NY :roll:

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »
It would be Hell on Earth for the Parents if it were my bees, nobody gets a free ride, nobody.  :-x

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »
 "They thought they were getting back at the "mean man" that lived there."

Just perhaps the mean man forgave the kids and wanted them to know that he's not such a bad guy after all.

One such possibility.

If it were me, I would have the kids workin' bees with me for the next two seasons. Perhaps good could come out of it.

That would be my approach.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:52:31 pm »
It would be Hell on Earth for the Parents if it were my bees, nobody gets a free ride, nobody.  :-x

I agree 100%, ....unless of course I caught them in the act.......that would be bad for them indeed, but then again, I am very strange..... :-D
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 01:00:39 am »
Off Topic

I'm surprised the landowner and beekeeper are not being sued from not having the proper signs and fencing, which endangered the lives of these young kids and possibly could of killed them from the stings. That is normally how this all plays out.

If this is normal, they why does it make news when it happens? 
Your statement is bogus.

Many states have laws that protect the rights of landowners from being sued by trespassers.  These laws were mostly introduced by hunting and fishing groups to help keep land from being posted.  I don't post my land.  People are welcome to hunt, fish and hike here.   If your state doesn't have satisfactory landowner protection legislation, maybe you should contact your state representatives instead of bellyaching. 

There are some extreme and oddball lawsuits, but the truth is that most people that suffer damages from another are not compensated anywhere near the value of loss.  Most people are busy living their own lives.  Most people that slip on the proverbial "icy sidewalk" limp away and lick their own wounds.

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 02:06:25 am »
I agree with you Jp. Even though I deal with this kind of thing everyday it will surprise you of what some victims do and say. It seems the older the person is the more they are to say no charges and just dont do it again. The younger the victim is, adult age, the more likly they are to say press charges. That is the norm but right when you think you got it figured out it changes.

I just had a run in with my two kids about a month back. Luckly my neighbor allowed my daughter to clean up her mess plus some with me sitting in my chair watching her do the work. Where was I when it happened? Dont know! That is a good point but as the kids get older a parent has to hope they taught their kids the best and then the kids have to make their own decisions and live with it.  :soapbox:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »
Off Topic

If this is normal, they why does it make news when it happens?  
Your statement is bogus.

I didn't think it was a comment to point a finger and call another person's opinion "bogus". But, you want to make a deal about it....fine.

I didn't add the little smiley with the "rolling eyes" as I thought perhaps most would get the sarcasm or jest of the comment. Of course we all heard of the stupid crook that broke in the store window to rob the place and then sued due his cutting himself on the broken window crawling out while carrying a television. But thank you for the clarification and setting me straight as to my comments being bogus. From your statement, I think perhaps you understood more than your letting on concerning my post, and I'm not all that sure a little smiley would of helped. But I'll tuck it away for future reference.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »
Sounds to me like like $6000.00 in community service is owed to this beekeeper.  We had a bald eagle statue (ten or twelve feet high and wide) spray painted by kids.  The kids were ordered by the court to pay for damages and had to repaint the eagle for community service.  I think this type of punishment is the best way to deal with it the first offense and then real hard punishment it that doesn't teach them anything.  How else do you teach these youngsters the value of things and why these things deserve respect.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:10:16 am »
I work with at risk individuals. I can understand no charges, because having a record can really mess a kid up employment wise now. But for the kids to get anything out of this other than either unresolvable guilt (not as likely nowadays) or the reinforced impression that they can act like savages and destroy other peoples property and livelyhood, they need to make retribution.

They should have to sit down with their parents, the beekeeper and the "mean man" who owns the land and work out community service. And then they should actually have to do the community service.

In our area, community service is figured at $10/hr, making $6000 worth 600 hours. One should be able to learn quite a bit about beekeeping, consequences of bad decisions, taking personal responsibility, and the value of work in that amount of time.

I know my parents would have required that we work for the beekeeper, the injured party, AND an equivalent 600 hours for the INTENDED victim.

We discussed this with our kids, and they agreed that if you tried to hurt someone and failed, the punishment should be the same as if you had been successful.