Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ok, flame away!  (Read 9535 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Ok, flame away!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »
Lets give this guy a chance.I know he did not come in on the right foot,not caring if he stirred up a hornets nest If he spends a little more time he he may find out we can rationally discuss the pros and cons of top bar versus langstroth.
 It may be easier to convince him of this if we don't instantly raise our shields and be prepared to go on the offensive. I noticed his post was made kind of late last night,so it may yet not be his time of day to return to the forum.
And i am also sure he will find out some things as I did,number one being that publishers never mention that the bees don't read the books and often do different than what the book says.

Offline Eric-WD

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:57 pm »
ducks fan....hmmmm, could be a problem!   ;)   :evil:

Its a major problem, I am living here in Husky territory and they keep stopping by and peeing on my tires.  :-P As your an Oregonian you may be a Beaver Fan, well they're my second favorite team. (my third favorite is who ever is playing usc). I graduated from Southern Oregon State in Ashland.  but nobody cares who the raiders are playing (not even a large percentage of campus)  I will for the most part keep my cheering to myself and to paraphrase Rodney King, Lets all get along.   :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
my youngest graduated from OSU.  he is a major sports fan and a very little of it has rubbed off on mom.  i promise not to hold it against you!  i am more apt to be cheering for Navy anyway.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »
Some people are BEEKEEPERS and others are BEE OWNERS  :roll:

and others keep  :deadhorse: BEES FROM THIER ARM CHAIRS :deadhorse:

edward  :-P

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 11:53:46 pm »
Some people are BEEKEEPERS and others are BEE OWNERS  :roll:

and others keep  :deadhorse: BEES FROM THIER ARM CHAIRS :deadhorse:

edward  :-P

I would except I don't have an armchair next to my observation hive!!! :-P  But I do beekeep from a somewhat less comfortable chair, sometimes   :-D.
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 12:20:56 am »
I have a bow and arrow that I love to hunt with.  Is it the most efficient way to put food on the table?  No.  Is it fun?  Yes.  Does it work?  Yes.  I also have several nice high powered rifles that I love to hunt with.  Is it the most efficient way to put food on the table?  Probably not, since I can work a few hours and make enough money to buy more food than spending the same time hunting, but it's much more efficient than the bow.  Do I still use the bow?  Yes.

I have about 200 Langstroth hives and currently have bees in three top bar hives (although I own a few more that don't happen to have bees in them at the moment).  Do I enjoy them both?  Yes.  But I wouldn't put the top bar hives in an outyard because I couldn't manage them well there.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 08:52:19 am »
my youngest graduated from OSU.  he is a major sports fan and a very little of it has rubbed off on mom.  i promise not to hold it against you!  i am more apt to be cheering for Navy anyway.

kathy...don't do this to me.... :'(

You talk the talk, and say so many things that I agree with. And in my little world, I think your some gun toting, bodacious twenty something hot mama. This whole "My youngest graduated from OSU" is really blowing this all away.  :lau:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »
I am still learning, lots. Something that has happened to me a couple of times. I will have a hive that builds a lot of burr comb and I do mean lots. I try to have all of my hives point east for the morning sun. The hives that have a lot of burr comb I turn and point south, the burr comb stops. I live in an area that has cold weather from the middle of Oct. to the end of May. We have had snow in September (my birthhday) and Mothers day in May. I have bees that fly in 40 degree weather and bring in pollen. I have bees for the honey.Still trying to make money?  Tony

Offline BeesNeeds

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 02:01:03 pm »
I'm a supernewbee- still studying for hopefully next year maybe setting up my first hives. If we can get a property by then and settle in, and that's a big if right now.

I'm hoping to use both kinds. I want to start with a couple Langstroth.. But after a year or two, I want to have a top bar on the property as well. I figure it would be cool to work with both kinds of hives :)
Maybe many more years down the road, I will try out an observation hive too.
- :bee: -

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 05:27:02 pm »
ducks fan....hmmmm, could be a problem!   ;)   :evil:

since our original poster has not bothered to come back here or the other site, i am going to assume it was a drive by.

:jerry:

I was thinking the same thing

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 06:21:34 pm »
And in my little world, I think your some gun toting, bodacious twenty something hot mama

sorry to destroy your fantasy, but it would be hot grandmama.  my youngest just turned 28  :-D  i have two grandkids from the oldest, and i won't tell you how old he is  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »
Still here, just enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday with my family.  I appreciate all of you who responded though as I've discovered there are some who always look for the negative in a post and attack the messenger.  I think I can handle this.  I did attempt this on several forums to try to get a consensus that I could measure.  I hit the motherlode with one forum which unfortunately turned into an internecine battle I hadn't planned on and for that I apologize.  I had no idea I could generate such hostility but fortunately, I also generated a lot of good advice and I thank you for that.  For those that saw the worst in me, I hope you'll be a little more tolerant.  I will be the first to tell you I have a huge learning curve ahead.  At one point I also thought about having one TBH and one Lang and I may still do that just to get the experience.

I belong to a lot of forums in different subject areas.  I always thought my BMW motorcycle forum was a tough crowd.  It doesn't hold a candle to these forums.  Somewhat chastened by the experience but still eager to learn about beekeeping, I think it's a worthwhile vocation or hobby.
Bruce 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »
you seriously didn't expect the title and tone of your post would cause some to want to rearrange your parts?   :-D  i'm glad you got useful info, but you can probably get really good info without begging folks to bash you up side the head!

welcome to beekeeping.  it's a contact sport!   :evil:

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »
Don't let the conversation deter ya Bheckel. But please come in open minded rather than start your first  post with 'I know i'm stirring a hornets nest"
We have a lot of people here that use the top bar hives. Most here will share the experiences positive or negative.We just strive to keep a friendly dialogue where sometimes we need to just agree to disagree.
 I hope you the best in your new hobby.And certainly one of each will let you decide which will work best for you! Good Luck!! And welcome to the forum. :)

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »
It's been an interesting experience.  In a couple of forums I got no flak at all.  They jumped right in to discuss the differences and it went very smoothly.  I started to take a quick metric and found that those on the forums who either have a lot of experience or at least post a lot; in fact, A Lot, were the most antagonistic.  I don't know whether it was because they've heard it so many times before or they just don't have any tolerance for opinions outside their experience.  In any case, it was an education.  I plan on reading, listening and absorbing everything I can and will pretty much just read the posts here.
Bruce

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
Thank goodness..... :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:59 am »
Anybody remember;

SgtMaj    :?

He's now a bee "expert" on one of the Green boards.

Bee-Bop

Go ahead and delete this post if you want, I just had to bring it up.   :evil:

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 10:24:55 am »
Okay, here's a thought. The general premise of the original post is that the langstroth hive is somehow detrimental to the well being of the honey bee then it must follow that the user of the langstroth design must not care for the well being of the honey bee. Well let's extrapolate that a bit. The lang is nothing more or less than one of the many end results of a centuries old quest for a way to contain the honey bee colony for the end result of harvesting honey. This quest began with the simple container whether it be pottery, log or skep and progressed to the first major breakthrough in the TBH and eventually to the concept of "beespace" and the langstroth. So the TBH is nothing more or less than the first major evolutionary step in the practice of harvesting honey from the honey bee.
Since lang keepers are interested in nothing more than harvesting honey and the TBH is but merely a step in that direction would that not make the TBH just as equally or maybe more culpable in this human induced "assault" on the honey bee?
Just a thought.

To continue, is it the "exploitation" of the honey bee that drives this thread and if so wouldn't that make any human intervention tbh or lang equally "wrong"?   
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »
Okay, here's a thought. The general premise of the original post is that the langstroth hive is somehow detrimental to the well being of the honey bee then it must follow that the user of the langstroth design must not care for the well being of the honey bee. Well let's extrapolate that a bit. The lang is nothing more or less than one of the many end results of a centuries old quest for a way to contain the honey bee colony for the end result of harvesting honey. This quest began with the simple container whether it be pottery, log or skep and progressed to the first major breakthrough in the TBH and eventually to the concept of "beespace" and the langstroth. So the TBH is nothing more or less than the first major evolutionary step in the practice of harvesting honey from the honey bee.
Since lang keepers are interested in nothing more than harvesting honey and the TBH is but merely a step in that direction would that not make the TBH just as equally or maybe more culpable in this human induced "assault" on the honey bee?
Just a thought.

To continue, is it the "exploitation" of the honey bee that drives this thread and if so wouldn't that make any human intervention tbh or lang equally "wrong"?   

Someone remind me to never play Scrabble against him.  :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »
If my thought process is correct,the TBH proliferates because of not having a need to follow any standard dimensions and it can be thrown together with almost any kind of readily available materials.
It does not need precision woodworking by any means. it can be something as simple as a barrel cut in half with top bars added and a cover thrown on top.
 And BHeckel169's  premise is correct that most langstroth hives are owned by commercial beekeepers or people wanting to maximize honey production.
  I have not had the experience to know if a TBH overwinters in northern climates as well as a langstroth does.