Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutting layout for making styrene boxes  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
cutting layout for making styrene boxes
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »
Has anyone done a layout for a 4 by 8 of styrofoam either 1 1/2 or two inches for making deeps?  iT shouldn't be hard, I am just lazy or yours may be better than the one I figure out. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: cutting layout for making styrene boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03:53 am »
I’ve built lots of hives out of foam.  Started with 2” thick, then 1.5” thick and I may go down to 1” thick for some next winter.  I really like the 1.5” thick stuff; it’s probably the easier and safest to cut (less binding), has good rigidity in a box shape, and has a nice high R value for Michigan.  However it’s 66% more cost here than the 1” stuff.

I have yet to do a layout for a 4’x8’ sheet of foam because there are numerous ways a person can construct foam boxes and numerous little issues you may want to design around.  Keep in mind that bees, ants, and wax moths can drill through foam if they desire!  I’m still trying to come up with a perfect design, so I don’t have a layout yet.  I just get sheets of 4x8’ foam, build something that would seem logical in my mind and later discover some unforeseen problem.  Then go back to the drawing board and repeat the process all over again.  I think they used to call that the product design cycle:  Imagine it, design it, build it, test it and find out you screwed up, and repeat ad infinitum :-D 

Offline ScituateMA

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »
hi,
if you paint inside of foam beehive what we make with plastic paint, do bees still chew them?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:25 pm »
They would need some coating that would stop the bees from chewing them to pieces.  I thought of something like fiber glass resin but that might just eat the foam.  Something needs done, you are right.  I don't know what and was hoping some brilliant pioneer had it scoped out.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
Use the standard wood boxes and cover the outside with foil coated foam.

one would only necessarily have to cover for the winter. do not forget the top vent.

ask your local heating and airconditioning guy for the WHYS  and wherefores of venting moisture!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:55 am »
Why not just buy BeeMax® Hive ??
   I do know a few beekeepers that own BeeMax® Hive for a while and do not have bees chewing them to pieces.

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/BeeMax-Hive-Components

I do know most of time is cheaper for me to buy precut woodenware then to cut my own.Would it be the same for this I do not know.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/