Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dieting Bees?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
Dieting Bees?
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:30 pm »
I cracked open my 8 hives this past weekend to check stores.  It doesn't look like the hives have touched their 1 super each of honey that I left them last fall.  I've heard from other bee keepers in the area (north texas) that I need to start feeding here in about 2 weeks to stimulate brood rearing.  What do I do with all that leftover honey?  It's mostly goldenrod honey.  Extract it and feed it back to them? 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Dieting Bees?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »
Last year my bees had a mess of honey at this time too! but, when it got really springtime, they were going thru it really fast! I took some at first, but was sure glad i didnt take anymore!!! They'd a starved If I had taken more in the last leg of wintering!
 Im just west of you, Mad.
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »
Once the bees begin rearing brood in earnest they will not only use what syrup you feed them but also use a lot of  the left over stores.  One of the reasons to have so much honey stores at the beginning of winter is to insure that there is sufficient for an adequate brood growth in the spring.  Once they queen gets into full production the hive can go through a full super of honey in a matter of a week or 2.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »
Madscientist.  Well, the fact that there is still lots of honey stores left, is a great and wonderful thing.  As you have been told, the bees get into massive activity and brood rearing in the spring.  That is indeed when you will see that they can consume incredible amounts of honey/pollen to raise their babies.  That is good, leave it on the hive, they will need it shortly.  Have a wonderful, awesome life, and day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:03 pm »
A frame of brood burns up a frame of honey and a frame of pollen.  It will empty out quickly once brood rearing kicks in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:55 pm »
a frame of brood burns up a frame of honey and a frame of pollen.  It will empty out quickly once brood rearing kicks in.

Excellent knowledge.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything