Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Africans have moved to my tree, newby here  (Read 3820 times)

Offline annamariaslim

• New Bee
  • I'm on island time!
The Africans have moved to my tree, newby here
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:19:02 pm »
Have been thinking about starting to beekeep but my new house has put that on hold for awhile, maybe. As I was bringing in some boxes I heard a very strange sound,when I looked over to see what it was,I saw thousands and thousands of bees swarming around my cedar tree. Later that evening I noticed a small hole that they had apparently moved into. After talking with my extension agent, he said that there was an 80% chance that they were Africans and should be destroyed. Seeing that at some point I would like to have some hives, I contacted a local beekeeper/ removal guy.He said that if I wanted hives he could put an excluder(wire mesh) on the tree and a hive near the hole and that they would move over. And that one could requeen the captured bees to a more gentler type of bee rather than the Africans. As I don't have a suit or any equipment whatsoever I better stay away and learn before I do anything stupid. Cost $400, does this seem reasonable and feasable to do? ED on Longboat Key Florida

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
Re: The Africans have moved to my tree, newby here
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:31 pm »
Thats alot of money for unknown type of bee's. I would rather buy bee's already in a box for less than $75 . However you still have what may or may not be Afraican bee's near by . JP is a  swarm catcher and bee removal expert on here ,maybe he'll weigh in on this.
How about it  ,JP? If he dosen't respond send him a PM.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:44:25 pm »
i aint jp but if the poster would post his location in stead of hopelessly lost it would help

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »
He didn't put it in his bio, but in the text of the message he said he is from Longboat Key, Florida.
Brian

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:23:30 pm »
they may be africanized if they are in florida
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »
 The majority of AHB is currently below Hwy. 60 in Fl. They are identified as far North as Ocala (Silver Springs traps) area. Disneyworld kills all honeybees due to finding some there. Can you imagine the headlines, killer bees attack person in Camp Wilderness.
 Using only the workers from a hive to start a new hive is doable with a queen with known genetics, HOWEVER, not worth $400. You can buy a known genetic hive cheaper. (but, if you get stung by the beebug, that's just the start  :-D).
 The drones from the AHB hives are the problem, They pass the AHB genetics to to a virgin Italian queen and then the previously mild hive you have had for a couple of years that superceded becomes very aggressive and swarmy.
 It is something that those of us in Fl. and the S.W. are going to have to learn how to deal with.
 I would not advise you to start out trying to deal with them though. The only way to know what they are is to trap 100 or so and send them to Gainsville for testing. 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline annamariaslim

• New Bee
  • I'm on island time!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:03:33 am »
The beekeeper/removal guy said it would be $400 to do the relocation of the bees or to kill them entirely, either way same price. Hate to destroy any living thing, and given that honeybees are having a tough time right now, I wanted to save them. As I am about 20 miles south of Port Tampa as the crow flies and not lost, chances are high that these are Africans, or so I've been told,Tampa seems to be the point of origin for the local AHBs. My best bet might be to destroy them and start with a hive of known origin. I hate to do that but wifes parents are elderly and walk around the yard, I want to keep them safe. Hopefully I can find someone cheaper, or perhaps someone here can suggest a way to eradicate them myself? Thanks all, Ed

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:27:42 pm »
Thats a rediculous price to kill them if thats your decision. Just bomb them at night and run away is all. cost about $6. PM Understudy, he does removals in florida and might be able ti help. He is a firm believer that most feral hives are not africanized. He does not agree w/ offical state position on bees.  If you live in AHB area, and you do, requeening will be a way of life for you. Doesn't make a difference what type of bee you start with. If they supercede, they might have AHB genetics. If a queen mates w/ 20% AHB drones, the hive will act like an AHB hive.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:19:32 pm »
Even with their statistics (which I think are exaggerated), there's a 20% chance you have strong survivor feral bee stock that is NOT Africanized.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:12 pm »
Island time, that's ladda and tamarra right?

Florida has gone overboard about AHB.  I believe their sistictics on ABH infestation are way inflated.  To them any bee not in a managed hive is AHB.  Even in a swarm with a marked queen from a certified breeder they still treat it as and call it a feral AHB swarm.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annamariaslim

• New Bee
  • I'm on island time!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »
Ok my plan is unfolding, since I will start a hive at some point I'll buy a bee suit. Then I'll gather a few and send to Gainesville to identify what I have, AHB or whatever. If AHB I will destroy them and start with a known species and a new hive. So what would be the best way to bomb them if they are indeed AHB and with what would you use. The $ 400.00 guy said there is an excluder that allows them out but not back in again that attaches to the tree, any details on that? I can buy alot of bee equipment for $400 bucks. Any comments on the plan would be kindly appreciated!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »
soapy watter kills bees -without harm to inviorment-and if they are not AHB why cant they stay in the tree - 8-) they will undoutedly through swarms-catch one in a bait hive -and yes the suit will come in handy- :lol: RDY-B

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:25:33 pm »
In that part of Florida would not a feral hive eventually become AHB, if they aren't already? By superceding the queen mating with AHB drones?
I guess just asking the question so annamariaslim doesn't end up with AHB in her back yard and stumble into them one day w/ the lawnmower

Keith

Offline annamariaslim

• New Bee
  • I'm on island time!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:01:16 am »
Please see post 4 for advice, THX

Offline annamariaslim

• New Bee
  • I'm on island time!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:09 pm »
btt

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 10:05:21 pm »
The "excluder" is just a screen mesh fashioned into a cone and stapled over the hole on the tree.  Make the little end only 1 bee wide and cut some of the wires so they poke out and in.  So the bees can push out but not get back in due to the irritation of the wires.  Have you a box with frames sitting as near to the little end as possible.  Spray some sugar water inside the box.  I have done this once.  It works but will take several weeks if they have good honey stores inside the hole.  Make the cone as long as you need it to reach your box.  You may have to build a support for the box to sit on too.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 11:35:01 pm »
The AHB issue is more hype than reality. It is sad how they publicize that and not much else. there are plenty of good beekeepers in your area who can help you.

Most normal bee exterminators in Florida start at $350 and up depending on the situation. I certainly don't charge that much but I also don't drive 5 hours to that area. :)

Most of the cost for bee exterminators is in the insurance and bonding and overhead. They are required by law to carry. If they charge $350 for a job about $50 of it is profit. I am not fond of using exterminators but I not fond of the expenses they have either.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything