Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how long to wait?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
how long to wait?
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »
Same basic question, three scenarios.1) How long after catching a swarm to take the box and leave? If I have most of the bees, will the remaining bees that are flying around just go back to their home hive?
2)When doing a removal, it is not always practical to leave the hive until dark and then go back for it. At what point do you just go and not worry about foragers coming back? Is it reasonable to leave a few hundred bees flying around? 3)When checking a swarm trap, and there is a swarm in it already setting up house, do you worry about the foragers that are out or is it really important to retrieve it after dark? Again, it is not always practical to go back after dark. Thanks for your input!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: how long to wait?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »
1.  i wait until the majority are settled.  how long that takes depends on how well they went into the hive in the first place and how many are out scouting.  you also have to watch that while you are waiting for them to settle, they don't decide to up and leave.

2.  very often i have had to leave before dark and take the hive.  if i KNOW i have the queen and have gotten the majority of the bees, i warn the homeowner that there will be returning forages for a couple of days, even a clump or two of bees.  some Bee Quick is helpful here.  it helps discourage them from hanging around.
communication with the home/land owner is the key, but i have had a couple of call backs because of a clump that wouldn't leave. 

3.  you have to do what you have to do.  my preference with a swarm trap is to pick them up after dark even if that means they have to sit for a couple of days.  i put swarm traps up at my friends berry farm.  i might go by and check them, but if i don't have the truck and they are full, i'll leave them for later. 

everyone does different things.  most of my calls seem to be far from home, so going back and forth is not practical.  i find that as long as i have explained things to people, they are good with a few bees hanging around for a couple of days.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: how long to wait?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:58:22 pm »
thanks Kathy. That is pretty much how I have been doing things. I try to leave the hive at cutouts until dark, but if they are far away, the milage is a killer!