Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Second Swarm Call  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Second Swarm Call
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:53 pm »
Weather blew for this one.  I got a decent amount of bees but it was a mess.  It started pouring right as I was starting, so I had everything soaked and LOTS of angry off bees that were quite happy clustering up on a handrail "thank you very much".

Must have a hundred or two stingers imbedded in my gloves.  I had missplaced my brush and was desperate to move the last part of the cluster and used my hands....glad I had gloves on.

Nice and low like the last.  I got most the bees in the box with a couple shakes and waited to see if the queen MIGHT be in the mess.  I think she was as they started to fan the front and draw others in.  I was out of frames of honey and drawn foundation (This is my first year, so I am really short on stuff like that right now).  So I lubed up some frames of foundation with 1:1 and shot some on some old comb chunks that I was waiting to melt and filter and it seemed to work OK.  I also used the same box I have been using to transfer and capture the last swarm.

It was quick.  I got the call at 2PM.  Drove the 15 minute to the location.  I had them all in the box by 4:30 and had them in a 10 frame medium on a SBB, with feeder and covers by 5:30.

I know I got the bees but I killed a whole bunch trying to beat the rain.  I told myself I would not humanize them but I still feel bad that it did not ga as smoothly as the last one.

Regardless though...No lie, I love bees, I love getting bees, I love talking to people that have 'em, and love watching 'em while I eat lunch on the farm.

I really had no idea I would get this drawn in, this quickly doing it, but I love it.

I'll post pics in a bit.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Second Swarm Call
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:11:40 am »
Richard, nice story.  You did well!!!!  Yep, yep, you are under that spell of the honeybee, never thought it could happen, now did ya?  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, groovin' on the things we do to make our lives the best!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Second Swarm Call
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:14:47 am »
Great job!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything