Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and Adding Supers :needhelp:  (Read 3826 times)

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
SHB and Adding Supers :needhelp:
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »
 :needhelp:  New Beekeeper.  Just did my third inspection in three weeks to check colony.  Have been good about staying out of the colony except short times once a week.  Colony is still considered weak since the first brood hatch is not due for a week.  Lots of capped brood, honey and some pollen.  In a Medium with 8 frames.  Saw that all frames two through 7 were drawn on both sides and started on the inside of both frames one and eight.  decided to add another 8 frame super.  Also noticed that I've got some unwanted visitors in SHB running around the hive inner cover.  Have ordered some beetle traps, but am now wondering if I should remove the added super as that may just give the beetles more room to escape the bees.  Am second guessing myself.  Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: SHB and Adding Supers :needhelp:
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:00:17 pm »
How thick are the bees? If those frames are full of bees they should be fine. Do you have a screen bottom board (SBB) and an oil trap. If so the bees will knock them down and they die in the oil. Are your bees in the sun. That helps a lot to reduce the numbers. When I am in the hive I try to kill every one I see. use a piece of pine straw to knock them out of the cells. That has helped lower my count also.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »
Of the 8 frames, 6 were covered.  The outside frames had a few bees working the comb.  I do have a screen bottom, but no oil pan-(YET!).  Because I'm in a suburban area, I'm limited where to put my hive and it is in a good bit of shade in the back.  Do have morning sun, but from noon on it is shade.  It is what it is.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
I have a 1/2 acre lot and because I have a very bee hostile neighbor, my bees have been in heavy shade. His house is on the side of the property that has all of the son. I kill thousands of SHB every year in the oil pans. This past winter I had a large branch removed to get some sun on the hives that are here in town. So, the SHB numbers have been very low so far. You should be OK. I have an observation hive. The bottom frame is full of bees and growing. The top few frames have had very few bees but they keep after the few beetles that get in there. That is except after I have been in the hive and totally disturbed it. Then the bees are so busy fixing up the hive that the beetles walk around the hive like they own it. they know the bees are too busy to bother them. It takes several days for the bees to get back to normal and start keeping them under constant guard. In the mean time they have laid eggs all over the place. After a few days I find lots of larva that the bees have dropped into the clean out drawers. If you disturb them too much they do not have a chance to recover and get their house clean and protected again. Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »
SHB love the little hidey-holes. If you're putting on foundationless frames or bare foundation there's not too many places to hide. If you're using drawn comb there are many places for them to hide. As noted by Sawdust, a stressed hive is a SHB magnet. If you ever want to clear out the buggers from other hives just move in a recent cut out...many of them will migrate over to that one.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:58 am »
 :) Thanks all.  I really appreciate the willingness of those who have walked the path to share their experiences.  This is a great forum!

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:46 am »
SHB's won't bother foundation but will slime drawn supers that don't have enough bees to protect them.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:03 am »
If your hive isnt going to grow yet for awhile, why would you put on a super. Wait till they get crowded. Right? Harold

anything