Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: telescopice outer cover on nuc ??  (Read 2467 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
telescopice outer cover on nuc ??
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:10:46 am »
Ok i built a Nuc using cotes plans. But got carried away with the lid.  :roll: 

So im thinking baout puting a innercover on the hive. Should i have the lid be close fitting or should it be over sized all the way around ? what should i do ?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: telescopice outer cover on nuc ??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:15 am »
The inner cover would be the size of the hive.  A telescopic would hang over and have a lip.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:28:33 am »
What i mean is how far should the telescopic cover stick over the hive body if i would put an inner cover on ?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:37:01 am »
Usually the telescopic inside space is the size of the hive plus about 3/8" or so.  The outside is usually 3/4" further out all the way around because the lip is usually a one by.  So basically a langstroth hive is 19 7/8" long and the telescopic cover is typically 21 3/4".  The width depends on how wide you made the nuc.  Add about 1 7/8" and you'll be in the ballpark.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:15 am »
Ok the cover i made was just shy of 1/8 inch so if i want to make a inside cover i have to make a larger outser cover first THanks !

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:29:02 am »
I like to make my covers extra long. I typically make my tops 24 inches long. First because it makes cutting the plywood easier. You just rip it down the middle. Second, because it gives the bee beards a little more protection from the rain in the summer. And last, if you make them to tight the inner cover seems to get propolized to the top! Is proplized a word??? :-D