Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wildflowers  (Read 1393 times)

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
Wildflowers
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
Does anyone have a good vendor to buy wildflower seeds like sweet clover, birdfoot trefoil, vetch, etc. for seeding areas for nectar sources?  I live in Canada, so a Canadian source would be preferred.
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
Re: Wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:54 pm »
vetch and clover should easy to get at a farm supply/seed dealer. They're both used for cover and nitrogen fixing crops. plus clover makes good hay. Maybe your local what we call agriculture extension agents.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »
Thanks Forrest.  Except I was wondering a good supplier.  I live in the middle of the borreal forest and it would be at least 4+ hours to get to a town of significance, which would have agri-stuff.  The easiest way for me is to find a vendor that you can order online.

Unfortunately I live remotely, which is very good because I do not have any mites on my bees.  Mite free beekeeping still exists!
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:35:07 pm »
I get my clover, alfalfa, buckwheat and sweet clover from the feed and grain store. I have never, ever seen a bee on a birdsfoot trefoil!

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »
 What is a birdsfoot thangy? :?
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:31:29 pm »
It is a very low growing, tiny yellow flower commonly found in lawns and disturbed areas. I have seen it mentioned in several books on bee plants, but have never seen a bee on one!

anything