Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Homeless Queens?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline newbeeinlove

• New Bee
Homeless Queens?
« on: June 07, 2007, 05:01:21 pm »
This is quite odd.

So, there were a few swarm cells that I found a few weeks ago that were on the bottom of a frame. I am a newbeekeeper and decided that I should leave them as they were already capped and I'm really just interested in how the hive works.

It seems as though the queens hatched, and I am pretty sure there were two or three queens walking around near the hive. There are bees buzzing about a bit more that usual, but they do not seem like they are in swarm mode. The queens are not fighting each other. Should I capture the queens and give them to local beekeepers I know?

What might be going on? Can I open the hive and look around or would this be a bad time?
Any information or help would be very appreciated!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Homeless Queens?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:36:18 pm »
They might not be fighting because they haven't mated yet.  If they were on the landing board they were probably going to or returning from a mating flight.  The chances are that if the new queens are out and about your old queen is long gone.  There is also the possibility that the workers are keeping the queens apart for various reasons. 
You can always capture the excess queens and build nucs or whatever.  But chances are the bees have taken care of the "problem" by now.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:33:45 pm »
//forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9972.0

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:50:06 pm »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee