Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are the chances?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
What are the chances?
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »
On April 29, I made a split and a nuc. The full hive split had about half a dozen swarm cells, and the nuc had two frames loaded with eggs and brood. The bees seem to be doing great; bringing in nectar and pollen, building comb, etc. They are very docile and do not seem queenless. But I cannot find a queen or eggs or new brood in either one! What are the chances of both of them failing to produce a queen under those circumstances? Should I put in another frame of eggs and brood, or should I wait a few more days in case the queens are out on mating flights. We have had quite a bit of cool rainy weather the past week.  :?

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
Re: What are the chances?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »
If it was me I would add the frame of eggs and brood.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »
one frame with eggs in each if you can spare it.  then check in a couple of days to see if they are building queen cells.

chances are, you have a queen in at least one of them.  you are only 3 weeks out and a new queen may not be laying yet especially if the weather has been bad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:19:25 pm »
Thank you for the input! I spent quite a bit of time going through the nuc and split today. I found no eggs or queen in the nuc, so I found a frame with eggs and brood and put it in there. I DID find the queen in the full hive split!! :-D I even saw her laying eggs! :-D :-D I also found a frame with some eggs in it, so she must have just started laying in the last day or two. The hive I took the eggs and brood out of for the nuc had a ton of brood in various stages, but few eggs. I didn't see any queen cells either, so I think I was successful in preventing that hive from swarming.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:55 am »
I think I was successful in preventing that hive from swarming.

For Now.....
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:17:33 am »
I think I was successful in preventing that hive from swarming.

For Now.....

LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything