Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two queen cells found  (Read 1006 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Two queen cells found
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »
I have found 2 queen cells built out on the bottom of one frame. This hive is what is left of a small swarm which originally was a 3# package that absconded (of my 2 packages both of which absconded). Since then the hive was oven-run by carpenter ants which killed 1/3 to 1/2 of the bees before I discovered the bees had left the hive and were on the ground in front of the hive. I built a hive stand a week ago and put the legs in buckets of oil which appears to have solved the ant problem but this colony is only working 2 frames of comb in a 8 frame medium box mainly I believe to their greatly reduced numbers. Should i just leave them alone and hope they don't leave when the new queen hatches or take the frame and put into a 5 frame nuc box I have essentially splitting what is already a weak colony? I have another nuc nearly completed I would put the remaining bees into to reduce the size of box they need to maintain. They don't seem to be taking any more sugar water over the last several days. Since I am a new beek I can't combine these bees with anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dirk
Dirk

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Two queen cells found
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »
If there are bees to cover the frame that has cells then let them hatch her out and see.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Two queen cells found
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:08 pm »
if they only cover two frames i definitely wouldn't weaken them any more.    

anything