Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stink bugs and vine borers  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Stink bugs and vine borers
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:29:38 pm »
Ok, my friend has stinkbugs and vine borers in his garden and he can get rid of them with a chemical called seven but it will kill bees so the question is what will kill those 2 bugs but not the bees, thanks. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:32:27 pm »
It takes a lot of work..... you have to apply it directly on the bugs and patrol the garden daily.... Detergent and water.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:43:49 pm »
Jerry Mac is correct

According to my jerry baker giant book of garden solutions. ..

1 - Slit the stem at each hole, reach in with a bent wire and pull out the borer (crochet hook) Drown it in soapy water laced with a 1/4 cup of alcohol then heal soil over the opening in the stem.

2- You can also inject BT into each hole.

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 06:13:51 pm »
I use 1 part detergent to 1 part tabasco sauce/lemon peel/cayenne pepper to 3 parts water to keep stinkbugs, caterpillars, fire ants, inchworms off of my squash, beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, pretty much everything.  It doesn't really kill anything but drives 'em away, the detergent/soap makes it stick and the spices irritate the bugs.  But my bees still like the flowers so I guess it doesn't affect them.   I do use Sevin dust on my poultry though to keep off the fleas and mites.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Ginger Bush

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:08:34 pm »
Summerbee, I love your avatar.
A lie travels halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

Winston Churchill, et all

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Stink bugs and vine borers
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:37:18 pm »
Whew, just read the posts here about the stink bugs and vine borers.  I have smelled the stink bugs, but never encountered a vine borer.  When I pick my raspberries, you can always tell when you come near to a stink bug or touch it cause it really does stink!!!!  We have a strange bug here called the spit bug.  At least that is what I call it, I am sure that is not its proper name.  It produces foamy white spit and lives in the centre of this foamy substance, it is quite remarkable.  It actually looks like a green aphid, perhaps it is in the aphid family,  the kids get a real kick out of looking inside to see the bug (LOL).  The biggest problem that I have in my gardens are the asparagus beetles, there are two different species that bother my asparagus.  I am very diligent about going through the patch whenever I think about it, and have trained the kids to keep watch too.  I hand pick off all that I can and squish them.  They are quite smart though cause they watch you coming and move to the other side of the frond or stem, they are very easily seen as they are orange and black, looking somewhat like certain species of lady bugs, but with a somewhat longer body.  If they get a chance to lay eggs, the larvae that hatch are quite ugly, kind of grey and look somewhat like a little grey slug, I use BT when I see the larvae.  But usually I am so diligent about termination of the bug that I don't encounter the larvae too much.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service