Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pulling supers but harvesting the next day  (Read 1213 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Pulling supers but harvesting the next day
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:12:38 am »
I am planning on pulling my supers this friday and harvesting on Saturday morning.  I plan on putting the supers back on the hives Saturday right after harvesting.  In all the supers will be off the hives for about 24 hours.  I have had one minor run in with SHB's so far so I know they are here. 

Is keeping the extracted supers unprotected overnight enough time to have trouble with SHB's?  Once extracted do I need to worry about SHB eggs hatching in extracted honey that is in airtight 3 to 5 gallon buckets?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Pulling supers but harvesting the next day
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:26:04 am »
You will be fine. I have never had any issues whatsoever with honey frames I have pulled to harvest. Some of these boxes I have had sitting on my kitchen counter top for up to two weeks before harvest.

Wax moths are another story, but your plan is solid in not having an issue with them as well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:09:31 pm »
If the beetles are in the super at the get go, then you will have a problem if they sit any length of time.  otherwise, overnight should be fine.
Unless you pull the frames one by one and do a through inspection then chances are if they are in your hive they will be some in the supers. Been there done that. :)doak

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »
I live in SHB heaven down here in FL. About 4 weeks ago we extracted our orange blossum honey and left the supers sitting out for the bees to clean out. We got a huge case of beetles! Lost maybe 150 nice drawn frames. I would say do not leave them out for more than a day or so, especially uncapped with honey in them. Put them right back on the bees as you've planned and you won't have problems.