Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring clean up  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Spring clean up
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »
Well my kids and I went into the yard to start cleaning up for spring. I waited so long because it was still getting below freezing at night. As I got to the bee gardens I thought everything was dead from winter kill. As I raked the leaves away I found new growth. As I was cleaning the dead stems out from the cat nip I found they were as string as ever. I got to the bee balm plants and WOW what a smell. They are inches high but already putting out a stong fragance. All the daisies and honeysuckel are coming back strong. Raspberries are just now starting to bud, they must know its going to get cold but they all are coming back, 5 different bushes. I have lots of different seeds that I am going to plant in different areas to help the bees. I still have to get the ground worked up so I can plant the clover, three diferent types. I wish everyone a great spring!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Spring clean up
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:03:37 pm »
Nice country there. I spent 3 years at Ft Carson.
Sounds like things are trying to jump ahead a little there..
But when we have some nice weather in Jan. or Feb. it does the same thing here in central Ga.
Happy Spring cleaning.
doak

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 06:10:58 pm »
Spring cleanup is always easier than fall cleanup.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:57 pm »

Especially if the fall cleanup was done well  ;)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:48:55 am »
Maybe thats why It takes me so long to clean up in the spring, I dont d a cleaning in the fall. I believe its best to leave the leaves on the yard as a barrier from the cold, hold in moisture, and give back some compost. It seems to work for me here in Colorado.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:16:54 am »
I do that to an extent, but I can't leave the leaves on my lawn, it'll kill it dead, so I do gather them up.  They stay on the gardens, that is, until the wind whips them into the neighbors' yards  :)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »

Especially if the fall cleanup was done well  ;)

On an emotional level spring is easier too! It lesss like work, and more about the joy, all the expectations of spring. Fall is nothing but work w/ seemingly bonus for your hard work.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything