Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldenrod  (Read 2747 times)

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
Goldenrod
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:48 am »
I have 3 hives in the middle of about an acre of goldenrod that's fixing to bloom.  How much should that increase their stores?   I want to make sure I keep them plenty of room.  Thanks!

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
Re: Goldenrod
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:30:20 am »
I've read/heard from some sources that you'd need about 1 acre per hive if you want them to "max out" so to speak.. I'm assuming that would simply mean to produce a whole (medium?) super of honey.. To be honest, though, I'm truly jealous of your setup! I think that an acre of golden rod would make for three very happy hives! I also think that the bees will continue to forage out past the goldenrod as well.

Question:  Do you have these hives setup with drawn comb already on the frames? That would make a big difference in how much they can store.
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:07 am »
Chances are slim they will stay put on any given acre.  To bees it seems there is always some greener grass beyond the immediate surroundings.  

Not saying they won't hit on it or derive any value, just that bees like variety, even when hitting on the the same plant (there may be a golden field up the way from you that is more attractive for whatever reasons the bees decide.  Besides, ONE acre isn't that much.....not to a bee who lovingly travels far and wide.  We are currently surrounded by many acres of Goldenrod, just ask my wife..between sneezing.....when it blooms.....it blooms "everywhere" it wasn't restricted/poisoned or planted with something else.

That all said, keeping an eye out for active foraging in a field of Goldenrod is great entertainment  :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:25:31 am »
Also all goldenrod is not created equal.
John 3:16

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
Thanks, they do have drawn comb to fill.  Last year I had one hive, & they worked it like crazy.  The field was one huge BUZZ!!  Wonderful to just stand in the middle of it and watch & listen.  The 1 acre per hive info is interesting, that's kind of what I was wondering about.  Even though I know they wander far & wide, I was wondering how much this would provide for them. :)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »
TNBeeLady-Just got back to South Carolina from Middle Tenn and Goldenrod was in bloom all over TN. By the time I got around where I live Lexington it is just starting. I guess it works it's way down from the north. Local beeks say bees don't put much up here but my bees put some up last year I could smell it. How about it sc-bee you have goldenrod yet?

dan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »
Yea it is blooming now. Never have much accumlation but have the smell. Queens are laying due to it though.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:12 pm »
I can count on one hand the number of goldenrods I see blooming right now. It won't be long and it'll be wide open around here. Kudzu is still going strong.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »
Went into 6 out of 8 hives today and all had eggs, brood and all are puting up something here in south carolina. Thats about as good news as a beek can ask for this time of year :).

Anyone elses bees bringing in anything now?

dan

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:13 pm »
Thanks, they do have drawn comb to fill.  Last year I had one hive, & they worked it like crazy.  The field was one huge BUZZ!!  Wonderful to just stand in the middle of it and watch & listen.  The 1 acre per hive info is interesting, that's kind of what I was wondering about.  Even though I know they wander far & wide, I was wondering how much this would provide for them. :)

I do know that one acre per hive is more like for pollinating of fruits and vegetables not honey production also bees will fly over about 8000 acres.  Also some years you will get no honey off of goldenrod you need the right growing conditions in June for the flowers to devote right this year I believe we have had the right conditions in Central Massachusetts I have five hives on about 30 acres of golden rod and some Japanese bamboo
about 5 or 6 acres I hope for the best
 :roll:
 The only one I can think it will come close to this one acre per hive on honey production are some trees in the spring and maybe alfalfa. I do not know of any fall honey plants that will do this...

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:16:36 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:03 pm »
Dprater, I've seen it in some parts of my county blooming for about the last week.  My field is just barely showing a tinge of yellow, so I figured this week it will bloom.

Jim 134, we've had an overabundance of rain this summer.  I wonder how that affects the goldenrod?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:56 pm »
It looks like you will find out soon.

I am basing mind on pasts experience of 50 years plus experience of  beekeeping and talking to other longtime beekeepers in New England

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:43 pm »
I'm going to check out their stores in the morning, and then again after the goldenrod to see how much if any they increased.  I guess this is a good learning experience!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »
A couple of hills over, the fall before I got my bees, there was 40 to 50 acres of golden rod.  That was the best I have seen that field produce.  But my bees still get enough to have the bee yard area smell.  Ours is just fixing to start.

Joe

anything