Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Bees tired?"  (Read 2216 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
"Bees tired?"
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:12:45 am »
I was over at a friend's of mine yesterday evening/last night. I've been knowing this gentleman since I was a kid. He's in his 80's now. Love that man, he's a gentle soul and smart as a whip. Of course we were talking bees. He's been keeping bees for around 8 years. Shared a lot of "hands on" stuff with me.

I knew he was having problems with SHB so I took him a 10 frame SHB oil trap that was sent to me (I have 8 frame). I'm trying to offer my back for exchange of "hands on" experience. He made a comment that concerned me. He said, "I don't know what's wrong with my bees. Seems like they just don't have no energy." I offered to suit up and help him do a hive inspection. In addition I was offering to take pictures of each frame and put them on his computer. He seem interested in the pictures but was wary of his computer skills. He also pointed out that they were somewhat aggressive. Meaning, if you go out there you get stung at least once or twice.

With this vague info about his bees, do you have any thoughts about what might ail them? Something I should be looking for? I have a few ideas of my own but I wanted to pick your brains.

He was laughing. He said after he had his hives a year he was crowned the resident expert. Folks was asking him questions he's never heard of before.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: "Bees tired?"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:15 am »
Docile, seemingly lazy bees 'usually' indicate a lack of forage availability, shy any potential health issues.  How are their stores?  Are you having a dearth?
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:06:18 pm »
The cudzu flow is on right now. The fall flow hasn't been long kicked off around here. He told me he was feeding them at one time, now? not sure. I can't say about their stores. Hopefully he'll take me up on the offer to photograph the bees.

I knew this would be a shot in the dark with such little info to go on.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »
Possibly queenless.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:13:11 am »
ya, not really enough to go on, but that is why you will do the inspection and see what is what. it could be that they are sick even.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:38:18 am »
When sterling said queenless I remembered he had said something about having to replace a bunch of queens.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32:31 pm »
Lift the back corner of the box. If it's light they may be starving.lethargic bees have a hard time foraging.