Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mini nuc's  (Read 7667 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
mini nuc's
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »
does anyone have building plans for making mini nuc's for raising queens?

thanks
ron

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: mini nuc's
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:14 am »
The page won't let me put a link but look at the Nuc plans below and maybe make the width smaller

Tom
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »
yes allen the first one is to complicated..  I too like the design of the second one. so each section is 2 frames correct?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:18 pm »
Yes.  And you can pull out the dividers to make 2 4 frame nucs in a single box.   They are called queen castles and you can buy them already cut from most of the suppliers.   

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »
Something else to look into are the cardboard mating nucs in the July issue of the American Bee Journal.  On page 662 & 663 at the tops.   One time use but very simple looking.  Just a cardboard box with frames made from a corrugated plastic sign cut up.   

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
my father owns a cabinet shop so if its wood and i have a sketch i can build it and I can usually find stuff laying around that makes it free so this mating nuc is perfect could I remove some uncapped brood and put it in a mating nuc and just have the bees create a queen out of young larvae?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
The queen castle is what I use.  You just move entire frames in and out.  The next time you see a queen cell on a frame of brood, just place the whole frame in here together with a frame of honey or a feeder...come back 2-3 weeks later and find your mated queen.   

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:06 am »
if there are no queen cells can i just put uncapped brood in the nuc with nurse bees and have them create a queen out of one of the worker cells?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:55 am »
my father owns a cabinet shop so if its wood and i have a sketch i can build it and I can usually find stuff laying around that makes it free so this mating nuc is perfect could I remove some uncapped brood and put it in a mating nuc and just have the bees create a queen out of young larvae?

You got it made (pun intended)

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:47:22 pm »
i built a queen castle today, it turned out pretty good by just modifying one of my supers.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:29:30 pm »
the key to making these are the frame size-so start with a frame -i use these-           http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1094&idCategory=                                    know you build the nuc so you can buy the small frames -otherwise you gota make them-
this nuc is easy to make from 3/4 stock and a 3/8 divider -pockets hold 3 frames -or 2 and a feeder
  http://www.nabeehive.com/queenbreedingboxnuc.aspx
 8-) RDY-B

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »
if there are no queen cells can i just put uncapped brood in the nuc with nurse bees and have them create a queen out of one of the worker cells?
They can, but you want the best of the best from a booming hive.   Lots of workers, nurse bees, and food coming in for queen cells.  Take your best hive, pull the queen and watch for queen cells.   Then pull the cells for the queen castle to finish out and put that queen back in to keep working her magic. 

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »
thats a very good idea, how should i store her while they are creating swarm cells? and what is the best way to introduce her back?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »
Put her in a nuc.  Use a queen cage.