Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeycomb & Old Wives Fable  (Read 2747 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Honeycomb & Old Wives Fable
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:46 am »
It seems like I have read or heard it said that honeybees in the wild will orient their combs from north to south. Has anyone one else ever heard it before? If so, then couldn't some of the foundationless frame problems be semi cured by having frames with the ends in the North South direction?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Honeycomb & Old Wives Fable
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:14 am »
Never heard that.  I do not concern myself with which way the hives orient and have never noticed any semi-curing issues.  Doesn't mean it's are not happening, but I've noticed nothing.  Uncapped does not mean they aren't cured.  It can though, but it can also mean they didn't have enough flow to finish off the cells.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:47 am »
>Has anyone one else ever heard it before?

Heard it?  Yes.  Seen it?  No.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:17 am »
Have never heard that one before.  My THB the frames run east to west had almost no problems, had some Langs their frames ran north to south had a little more trouble with them being straight.  You just have to keep a watch on their building and help keep it straight.  Good luck

Joe

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »
I started a thread a few years back asking about this. The cutout guys started taking notes on cutouts and posting the orientation. It didn't seem to make a difference. Cutouts had orientation in about all directions.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27:47 pm »
>Cutouts had orientation in about all directions.

That was my observation as well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
I've seen comb in a single box that ran in all directions. Sometimes on the same frame!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
I figure this was a good place to find out if it was fact or fiction and if it could apply to a bee yard.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
I remove feral colonies for a living approx 10.5 months of the year, I live in the deep south and we have tons of bee colonies here. They will build their comb sections oriented every which way with entrances facing every which way & that is a fact.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com