Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Julianna Rangel - Anyone ever heard her speak?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Julianna Rangel - Anyone ever heard her speak?
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:24 pm »
Tonight Julianna Rangel, a post doc working with Dr. David Tarpy at NCSU, spoke at Metro's meeting on grafting queens. 

She was so great - I loved her explanations and how she presented things.  If you ever have an opportunity to hear her, go to her talk.  Her slides are precise and really good and her enthusiasm is palpable.

Made me want to invest in a grafting tool even though my hands probably shake too much to ever try grafting!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Julianna Rangel - Anyone ever heard her speak?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »
Tillie, I received this notice of a webinar that's free and open to the public with registration:

We hope that you will consider joining us Tuesday, February 22nd at 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm for our FREE BioForum webinar. Dr. Juliana Rangel, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University, will be presenting on the Relationship Between Honey Bee Health and Pollination in Agro-ecosystems, closely looking at:

1. Importance of honey bees as pollinators, value of honey bee pollination services in the US, and some definitions of ecosystems, agro-ecosystems, and ecosystem services (pollination being an important ecosystem service to humans)

2. Basics of pollination biology, morphological adaptations of honey bees for pollination

3. Economic impact and benefits of honey bee pollination nationwide and in NC

4. Costs of honey bee pollination and of lack-there-of (pests and pathogens to honey bees and their impact on honey bee health and productivity).

5. Honey bee health vs. ecosystem health

6. Conclusions

This webinar is FREE but registration is required - Register Now! http://www.ncbionetwork.org/bioforum-events/relationship-between-honey-bee-health-and-pollination-agro-ecosystems

Please don't forget to check out our growing archive of online BioNetwork BioForum educational seminars On-Demand.

If you have any questions regarding BioForum, please contact Dr. Greg Smith or call 252.757.3590. Feel free to share by sending this to all members of your local county beekeeping clubs or association.

Greg Smith, PhD, Curriculum Coordinator
North Carolina Community
     College System
BioNetwork Bioprocessing Center
1800G North Greene Street
Technology Enterprise Center (TEC)
Greenville, NC 27834
252-757-3590 Office
252-757-3745 Fax
http://www.ncbionetwork.org
smithg@ncbionetwork.org

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:01 pm »
Thanks, Frameshift - I'll post it on my blog - I can't listen then because I have a meeting scheduled during her talk, but if you can go, do.  She's just great, has a good sense of humor and communicates so well and with such good connection to the audience.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:20:24 am »
The notice above mentions that they have an archive of previous seminars, so I would expect this one will be added to the archive of presentations that are available at any time.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »
I took a queen rearing class that she taught last year and she was very good!  Very knowledgeable!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

anything