Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kelley has foundationless frames  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Kelley has foundationless frames
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »
I just looked and they did update the pictures.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:51 pm »
The Kelley Foundationless Frames arrive and they are well made. The photo does not do it justice, the edge along the length of the top bar is more pronounced than the picture shows, the bottom bar is solid, well worth the 68 cents each I paid plus the small shipping charge.  :-D

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 09:40:33 pm »
what was your shipping by the way?  I was doing an order and the checkout said shipping was 133$ dollars for a hundred frames??? I know it has to be an error, but I'm certainly not going to place an order without calling them :)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:26 am »
what was your shipping by the way?  I was doing an order and the checkout said shipping was 133$ dollars for a hundred frames??? I know it has to be an error, but I'm certainly not going to place an order without calling them :)

That $133. is a system error. I called them about it and they verified it was. I paid $16.00 for a 35 pound box of 100 unassembled frames shipped to a commercial address from Kentucky to New Jersey. ( Sure beats driving there & Back  ;) ) That's $.84 a frame, that is much better than buying from Humble Abodes which was $1.25 per frame for the same 100. Humble, btw makes a very good frame, but WTK wins.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 10:17:48 am »
shipping is always a big issue with woodenware (and glassware)....but it goes down to almost nothing if:

1.  order in larger quantities (find other beekeepers to pitch in on an order).

2.  have the order delivered to shipping address with a loading dock (if the truck must have a lift gate, you will pay extra for delivery)....find a local business that will let you use their dock if necessary.

when these things come _on_ a pallet rather than _in_ a box you will do much better with the shipping.  i think a pallet from humble abodes (100 deep boxes, 1000 frames, 100 custom cut shims) shipped for about $150.  with one of the jars we use, shipping was costing us about $0.50/jar....on a pallet it went down to about $0.05/jar!

deknow

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:24 am »
shipping is always a big issue with woodenware (and glassware)....but it goes down to almost nothing if:

1.  order in larger quantities (find other beekeepers to pitch in on an order).

2.  have the order delivered to shipping address with a loading dock (if the truck must have a lift gate, you will pay extra for delivery)....find a local business that will let you use their dock if necessary.

when these things come _on_ a pallet rather than _in_ a box you will do much better with the shipping.  i think a pallet from humble abodes (100 deep boxes, 1000 frames, 100 custom cut shims) shipped for about $150.  with one of the jars we use, shipping was costing us about $0.50/jar....on a pallet it went down to about $0.05/jar!

deknow

Good Pointers you got there, deknow  :-D

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:46 pm »
...it's also worth mentioning that like everyone else, truck drivers are people.  some are nice, some are not...but they are all human.  we get deliveries from the same company (usually the same driver).  we always tip (hey, $10 will buy a sandwich and a drink...sometimes a jar of honey), and occasionally take the driver out to breakfast.  these drivers know us, have our cell phone numbers, and call us before delivery (this kind of instruction doesn't always make it onto the paperwork).  a driver you can rely on is part of what makes your business run smoothly.

everything is personal.

deknow

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
Are these standard dimension for a langstroth hive?  What is the width of the top bar? and, do you still use the standard 10 frame per hive body.  Is spacing the same?
Thanks,
Greg Watkevich

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33:12 pm »
>Are these standard dimension for a langstroth hive?

Yes.

>  What is the width of the top bar?

They are standard width.

> and, do you still use the standard 10 frame per hive body.

Yes.

>  Is spacing the same?

Yes.  I'd plane them down to 1 1/4" and put 11 in, but that's me...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:32 pm »
>Are these standard dimension for a langstroth hive?

Yes.

>  What is the width of the top bar?

They are standard width.

> and, do you still use the standard 10 frame per hive body.

Yes.

>  Is spacing the same?

Yes.  I'd plane them down to 1 1/4" and put 11 in, but that's me...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm

You like to start out with 11 frames I guessing untill they have drwan out comb?  If that is the case to you go to 10 or 9 after they have been drawn out?

Thanks

Bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
No.  In any area with brood I prefer the tighter spacing.  For the why, try reading the page the link takes you to.
-------------------

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 01:06:56 am »
No.  In any area with brood I prefer the tighter spacing.  For the why, try reading the page the link takes you to.

Very interesting.  It makes sense as well.  The frames I got last year almost fit eleven per box.  I think all I would have to do is run them across the belt sander quick.  Dont know, but if I remember this come spring I will try it. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 02:19:09 pm »
The frames I got last year almost fit eleven per box.  I think all I would have to do is run them across the belt sander quick.  Dont know, but if I remember this come spring I will try it.

If I remember right, remove 1/8" off each side. of the frame.  I used to use 11 per box but it is really really hard to get frames out once they start propolizing them.  I went back to 10 per box in the brood boxes and wish I never trimmed down those frames.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 06:24:46 am »
>If I remember right, remove 1/8" off each side. of the frame.

1/16" off each side makes each frame 1/8" smaller e.g. 1 1/4" instead of 1 3/8".  That is my target size, 1 1/4".  1/8" off each side will make it only 1 1/8".
-------------------

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »
Thanks for the correction.  I know I was using what you recommended some time ago.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything