Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I can offer help with OpenSuse, Debian and CentOS versions of Linux  (Read 4727 times)

bigbearomaha

I am the network administrator of a local school and some local non-profit groups in the Omaha area.  If anyone has any questions about using those distributions, feel free to ask and I will do my level best to help you out.

I am not "anti-Ubuntu' but, I have my own reasons as a technician that I will not use or recommend it though.  In other words, can't help ya with buntu or a few others.

Big Bear

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Re: I can offer help with OpenSuse, Debian and CentOS versions of Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:47 am »
I am willing to try different os system but could you explain why which linux version :? is better for ex windows users, not programmers?
Only one i heard about here was Ubuntu.
I tried to join your site today. Still waiting for approval.
BTW it looks a lot like beemaster.com too.
Was it made with Linux?
... Rob

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:32:06 am »
Not sure which site of mine you are talking about.
All of my websites are run on Linux servers and use FOSS apps.

As to which distro is 'better', that's mostly a relative term.  most distros are targeted to a user group or specific use.

I beleive in in the 'zeal' to put out an 'average joe' desktop, some distros cut corners on usability just to make things 'seem' easier to use, but in the long run, the user finds themselves wanting more.

There are the 'newbie' distros, such as Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mint and others which are fine at first, but depending on how quick you are to pick up on information and especially when it comes to getting work done on your computer, they may end up feeling less capable in the long run.  That's up to each user to determine what their needs capacity is. 

After almost 15 years of using Linux in both server and desktop capacity,  I myself have come to the conclusion that I am most successful getting students, staff and other 'regular' desktop users' productive using the distros I have mentioned. As a desktop, this particularly includes OpenSuse11.1

In terms of 'trying to join my site' are you referring to the BBE-Tech Apiary site or the forum?  I also have a Linux assistance site for schools, small business and non-profits wanting  to implement Linux solutions.

Big Bear

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:42 am »
*REAL* linux users use Gentoo! :-D

Seriously.... Ubuntu seems to be most popular with newcomers to the world of linux... probably the easiest to get started with. Started out with Slackware in '92.... come along way!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:54:11 am »
*REAL* linux users use Gentoo!

I don't know,  I have been so used to using Debian on my own machines instead of fixing Gentoo, I haven't had opportunity to notice.  heh heh.

Seriously though, that's why I say it's really up to each user to decide what's "best" for their needs and working environment.  For some it will be Ubuntu, for others something else. 

I am most experienced with the distros  I mentioned, hence best able to help with those.

Big Bear

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 01:40:05 pm »
 bigbear >site of mine you are talking about.< is >Linux/FOSS at belproject.org<

>As to which distro is 'better', that's mostly a relative term.  most distros are targeted to a user group or specific use.<
Yes thats the problem, how does a new to Linux pick one?  Has any plain "English" comparision chart or check list been made to assist choice?
My own needs are what win 7 does, BUT if i could find a plug-n-play os that  will work Media Centre, support 2
monitors (Extented) and (wishful ) a TV, CADD, 4 - 8 gb ram (64-bit), Easy to configure!
I like to try different aps, but not a good keyboard user, so really use mouse a lot.
... Rob

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »
Ps: Added Ventrilo but have found another to test it yet.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »
Well, for starters, if you are a 'typical' home user, web browsing, email, multimedia, etc...
I might suggest Linux Mint.  it is Ubuntu with more config scripts and codecs for playing video and music files out of the box.  However, PCLinuxOS will give that that same experience, with a bit smaller repository  (selecton of apps directly available for it)

If you want more of a "windows" fell to it, use the KDE versions.

I personally prefer Xfce then Gnome desktop Environments which are lighter and faster, but, offer somewhat fewer 'enhancements"

One thing to keep in mind about distros is, the further you stray from the commercially supported versinos ( Red Hat, CentOS, Novell, Opensuse, ubuntu and of course it's non-corporate but ever present origin Debian, the less 'guarantee' you will have of being sure your version is fully supported in the future.

The community created distros which are spinoffs and heavily customized by volunteers are really nice at times, but, volunteers can quit at any time then where will you be?

Another reason why  I stick to OpenSUse, Debian and CentOS, they are mostlikely to endure.

Big Bear

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:59 am »
Ps: Added Ventrilo but have found another to test it yet.
If you see me online here at beemaster pm me and I'll jump in to ventrilo and BS with you. I don't know why I read this because I don't understand any thing you guy's are talking about :? :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »
Quote from: bigbearomaha
I can offer help with OpenSuse, Debian and CentOS versions of Linux
I can help with Deb and Slack systems too and various hacks.
I mostly use grml
because it has most of the tools I need that are lacking with a standard installation.  Data recovery, forensics and encryption are one of my hobbies.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

anything