Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 10 Frame Spacing Question  (Read 3170 times)

Offline LSBees

• New Bee
10 Frame Spacing Question
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:32:51 pm »
Those of you who use 10 frames in a standard 10 frame box how do you space them out? I have always pushed all 10 frames together in the middle leaving the extra space divided between the two sides. Just recently I was told I use evenly space each of the 10 frames equally acroos the box.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: 10 Frame Spacing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:34:05 pm »
You'll either want to space them evenly by eye or use metal/wood spacers. I find plastic frames are tougher to keep spaced than wood.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »
you were doing it right if you want to minimize burr comb.  in the honey super, i space them out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »
I have always pushed all 10 frames together in the middle leaving the extra space divided between the two sides.
Exactly.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:09:04 pm »
I have always pushed all 10 frames together in the middle leaving the extra space divided between the two sides.
Exactly.

Double Exactly
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:14:10 pm »
- I push all ten together if its new foundation that needs to be drawn

- I push all ten together in the brood nest ( keeps things neat )

- In the honey supers I have nine frames all spaced out ( provided its already drawn )

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:44:33 am »
I push them together in the middle.  Sometimes I shave 1/16" off each side of each end bar and put another frame in... pushed together in the middle.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:23:41 am »
I have tried both, pushed together in the center and pushed to one side.

The advantage to pushing to one side is that it gives you a lot of room for inspection on that side once you remove the first frame.  I have not had any problems with burr comb in that area.

The downside is that they propolis the frame that is pushed up against the outside of the deep on the other side making it a bit of a pain to remove.

I haven't had any problems with the frames pushed together in the middle.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:36 am »
Hey, I am so happy to see this topic, having been a beek for just one year, and having read several books, and reading much of this and another forums, plus Mr Bush's web sight, this is the first I have seen anything about "NOT" spacing evenly. Fact is, just about everything I have read gives the impression that there should be even spacing. This information is very welcome, as well as being very helpfull.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:26:11 pm »
Hear hear... I 2nd the appreciation vote.  I am preparing to place my order for my first two Nucs of bees (despite the possibility of deployment in July) AARRGGHHH and I had not heard this before either. 

*  Another first time info for you "LAKEMAN" is that the timing is imperitive when removing a stinger recently applied by one of your upset girls.  The sooner you can scrap that stinger out, and I was told that we are talking within the first 4-5 seconds that the uncomfortability factor will drop. Keep the good info flowing.  Even if it seems common knowledge.  :)
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline LSBees

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
Thanks for all the input and I am glad my question has helped others as well.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:28 pm »
Hear hear... I 2nd the appreciation vote.  I am preparing to place my order for my first two Nucs of bees (despite the possibility of deployment in July) AARRGGHHH and I had not heard this before either. 

*  Another first time info for you "LAKEMAN" is that the timing is imperitive when removing a stinger recently applied by one of your upset girls.  The sooner you can scrap that stinger out, and I was told that we are talking within the first 4-5 seconds that the uncomfortability factor will drop. Keep the good info flowing.  Even if it seems common knowledge.  :)

CVBees! As a 76 year old veteran, I thank you (and all of your fellow servicemen,from the past, now, and in the future) for your service to our country. :)
I am my own biggest critic!

anything