Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very odd occurrence at the bee hives yesterday  (Read 4610 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Very odd occurrence at the bee hives yesterday
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »
Not sure how to explain what happened.  I have been getting over a very bad virus, and still have a runny nose. In fact I made plans to visit the bees yesterday with this women from the 4H Club, so I could not cancel this appointment even though my nose was running like crazy from early morning.

I mean blow the nose, stop and blow the nose again and again.  This is how bad my nose was running. Took claritin and sudafed to help the matter, but nothing worked.

So I am extremely worried now because I have my bee suit on and I am wondering how the heck I am going to check out 4 beehives in this condition. Well one last blow into the tissue, place veil on and start opening up the hives. Well it took about 1 hour to check out the hives because I was also teaching this women as we did the inspection, so it was going along very slowly.

During this time period that I had the hives open, well my nose completely stopped running. I mean nothing, not a sniffle.

Soon as I closed up the hives, walked away and took off my veil and suit there we go again. Nose running constantly the remainder of the day.

So why did my nose stop running when I had the hives open???  I know you are probably all laughing by now, but I am so curious about this. Why did my nose stop running completely when I was working the hives??

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Very odd occurrence at the bee hives yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:47:46 pm »
i'm sorry, i'm not laughing....really.... :evil:

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
 :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:04:36 am »
Wish I knew what to tell you about that.
Can tell you how to doctor your sniffles.

Take a large cup and fill about 3/4 full of tap water. Add 1/4 cup of concentrated lemon juice. Microwave for about a minute. (coffee hot). Now add about 1/4 cup of honey. Stir till honey is dissolved. You may have to adjust the juice and honey amount depending on the size of your cup, to your taste. Reheat a few more seconds, to coffee hot. Drink in slow sips and enjoy.

A few years ago my Wife and I had the cold bug that nothing over the counter would touch.
The Honey/lemon mix did the trick. I take a cup about every day.

I found out I could not chew tobacco while wearing the veil, when time came to empty the tobacco juice I forgot I had the veil on. :shock: :) :roll:doak

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:41:46 am »
Here is another remedy You may want to try

do 2 tbs of local raw honey, 1 tsp of Cinnamon powder and 1 cup of hot water ever morning on an empty stomach.
this Will help boost your immune system and help you fight off your cold/flu bug's

Also google honey and Cinnamon powder and see all of the health benefits there are you may be surprised.

Good Luck and get well soon.
Blessed Be,
Dracono
Dracono

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:04 am »

I think it is a psycological reaction in you/our/my own bodies, which we cannot control. but unconciously kicks in when needed. I have what I have always called a (bad, bad, bad) sinus problem for 77 years, whereas my nose runs most of the time constantly during winter weather, severe temperature, humidity change. But for some unknown reason when certain occaisions arose whereas it would be impossible for me to wipe the dribble, for some reason it miraculosly dried up until the task was over.  I just wish I could conciously control it, stead of it happening unconciously.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:06 am »
That's another thing I am allergic to is cinnamon. I can eat rolls but that is about it. :)doak

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »

I think it is a psycological reaction in you/our/my own bodies, which we cannot control. but unconciously kicks in when needed. I have what I have always called a (bad, bad, bad) sinus problem for 77 years, whereas my nose runs most of the time constantly during winter weather, severe temperature, humidity change. But for some unknown reason when certain occaisions arose whereas it would be impossible for me to wipe the dribble, for some reason it miraculosly dried up until the task was over.  I just wish I could conciously control it, stead of it happening unconciously.

OK now this is interesting stuff. So I'm not crazy.  Thanks for your reply. I appreciate this.

Annette

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »

OK now this is interesting stuff. So I'm not crazy.  Thanks for your reply. I appreciate this.

Annette

Well I wouldn't say that.. :-D  :lau:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 02:49:44 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* achoo!!!

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:34:27 pm »
Bless you.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 11:43:22 pm »
I can't comment as to whether you are crazy or not  ... :-D  

But when I have a stuffy nose and I'm stationary, it bugs me.  When I get up and move around it immediately clears up and my nose is fine.  I wonder if the movement and the way you were going through the hives changed the way you breathed and cleared it up temporarily.  Plus your mind is occupied so it doesn't bother you either.

Rick
Rick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:43 am »
Just exactly how much medication and drugs did you take?  :-D

Sounds like hallucinations and/or a stupor like condition.   :shock:

You weren't puffing on that smoker again were you....  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:03 am »
No idea how it works, but as a get-rich-quick scheme maybe you should bottle the air from your hives and sell it as a cold remedy.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »
Just exactly how much medication and drugs did you take?  :-D

Sounds like hallucinations and/or a stupor like condition.   :shock:

You weren't puffing on that smoker again were you....  :roll:

Alright, alright, enough already :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil:

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:10:02 pm »
Annetta? Come sit by me, I'll take care of you. I'll fix you a hot toddy. Feel better now?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:05 am »
Annetta? Come sit by me, I'll take care of you. I'll fix you a hot toddy. Feel better now?

Yeah, I feel better already. I love being taken care of!!!!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:10 pm »
Honestly, I'd say it's adrenalin.  I have had similar things happen while hunting.  Runny nose and steam when I exhale.  When game would come into range, the runny nose completely stops and my breath disappears.  Once the situation passes though, especially if game has been gotten, steam pours from my breath and the faucet that was my nose opens back up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:35:18 pm by D Coates »
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »
OH that makes sense to me. At first I felt stupid for posting this, but now I see that there could be a scientific reason for this happening.

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:24 am »
That is amazing.  My bee suit has the opposite effect.  A minute after I put it on, my nose starts to itch.   ;)