Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre hive experiences  (Read 73617 times)

Offline netghost@wctel.net

• Brood
Re: Warre hive experiences
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:58 pm »
I have a question about transferring two Langstroth hives (just the bees) to two Warre hives.  What is the best way (by experience) to do this.  Incidently, the Langstroth hives are coming from a commercial gentleman who pollinates the almond groves in California.  Probably quite stressed.

First, I've read where a gentleman built an adapter atop the Warre hive to fit the Langstroth on top.  Preliminary results seemed slow but the brood was saved. 

I am wondering if the brood contains Varroa mites, would I want the brood in the Warre hive?  I'm leaning towards the shakedown, as others have advised. Also,  should the transfer take place immediately after bringing them home, or allow the bees to settle down a day or a few days before transferring?

What say you folks?
Belle Star Farm
Iva, South Carolina

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2009, 06:01:28 pm »
Just speaking from my experience, I did the adapter board method.  Yes it is slower, but less stressful on the bees and you don't have that month of decline you get with the shake.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline madhen

• New Bee
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2014, 12:03:14 pm »
I just finished reading this entire thread, and really enjoyed it.  I started beekeeping this year, and I bought a Langstroth (8 frame) and a Warre.  I bought just one package of bees, and they went into the Langstroth by default (hadn't assembled the Warre yet, because it showed up late).  After reading through this thread, I am thinking I might assemble the Warre and put it out this fall or next year, depending on whether I can catch a swarm or have to buy another package.  I really like the Langstroth, more than I thought I would, but I also really like the idea of having a hive that can develop on its own, with minimal intervention from me.  Kind of like putting out nest boxes for the wild birds.  :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2014, 12:36:46 pm »
I still have one Warre hive and enjoy watching them survive on their own.   Trying to take honey, or do any type on manipulation is a royal pain in the butt.   So if you just want a hive that "is there"  they are great,  if you plan on harvesting honey, stick with the Langstroth.....           
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline madhen

• New Bee
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:14 pm »
Thanks, Robo.  That is exactly why I was thinking of sticking with one of each.  I like the idea of just setting it up and letting it run itself, but I also kind of get a kick out of watching my girls working in their Langstroth.  I am not necessarily in it for the honey, although I'll take it if they have enough to spare, but I don't want to exclude the possibility entirely.  :)

anything