Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Smyrna Beach smoke out  (Read 3857 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
New Smyrna Beach smoke out
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:55 pm »
No...not smoke in...smoke OUT!

We did this one yesterday. We're getting pretty lucky with these "smoke outs"  :-D

Found the queen once we hived them back at the bee yard...smallest queen I've ever seen! She's a black little thing not even 3/4 the size of a worker bee. It took forever just to find her!

NSB tree bees.wmv

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Smyrna Beach smoke out
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »
Nice job. Did you get any pictures of that small queen. What happens if you try to do the same thing to a hive that has been in a tree for a long time?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »
Jim, it's been my experience that once they have drawn comb/brood it's very difficult to get them to move. Maybe if you smoked the snot out of 'em for a looong time it might work but is not something I've tried.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:10:58 pm »
I would like to see the queen.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »
I'll be out at that yard later today and will try to get a pic. I'm thinking to combine them with a weak nuc anyway.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:41 pm »
I had a call about a week ago that a swarm had JUST move into a hollow tree, I tried smoking them out and some bee go also. Just as I was getting into them I got a swarm call so I decided to go and get them while the bee go worked on the hollow tree. By the time I got back there were very few bees left, I think they must have absconded from the bee go and smoke.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »
Good video.   How long do you think that swarm had been in there?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »
I was told that they moved in that morning.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »
Darn it I have swarm traps set up all over New Smyrna Beach but haven't picked up a swarm yet. Now that we just got some rain I'm hoping to catch at least one. Nice video Scott are you going to be at Cracker Creek this Saturday? 
Ed

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »
Don't know just yet Ed, I'm trying to get the bees all buttoned up so I can take off to Bud's next Tue. I talked to Jesse today and he'll be heading over for it.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »
I'll be there, rain or shine
Ed :-D

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »
Really enjoyed the video.  Glad the "smoke out" technique has been working so well for ya. 

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29:13 am »
Hello Scott and Peg,

I have a video request.  I'd like a short 2 or 3 minute video describing your beevac setup including the hose(s) you use, how you power it, how many boxes you have, etc.  I think many of us could learn alot from y'all.  From what I've seen in your videos, y'all have it down.

JP, if you read this, the same from you would be cool also.  I've got some beevac decisions to make and want to make them educated instead of ignorant (my normal state :) )

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:31 am »
Will do BTS...as soon as I get a bit of time!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:44 am »
No rush.  I know y'all are busy, especially with Bud4 coming up.  I really appreciate it.  I'm sure others will benefit from it as well.  Still trying to figure out how I can make it to Bud4 myself.  It turns out that it coincides with Derrick Days, Corsicana, Texas' celebration of itself.  My family is involved with several happenings that weekend.  If I make it, it will be solo.  Really wanted the wife to come along as I'm trying to get her more involved with my bee habit.  You and Peg are an inspiration for that.

Ted

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »
enjoyed watching , Thanks for posting..dl

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 10:07:43 am »
I don't know, that was definitely a "smoke in" but hey, it got er' done! Another great job from "the expert" bee removers.  ;)

I've tried smoking them out of trees a few times. Settled colonies they were & as Scott mentioned they really don't want to abandon brood. Trust me on this, they do not want to abandon brood. I've experimented with this using smoke & bee quick injected behind & above them. Even done it in a wall void where I could see the exposed colony & yet they still did not want to move off brood. Even built a large screened box that I would attach to the wall or tree to run them into after I smoked & bee quicked the bejesus out of them. They would not move!

But, hey, maybe those Florida bees would!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »
yep that was some smokeout you had.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP