Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reversable Bottom Boards  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Reversable Bottom Boards
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:02:04 am »
I have noticed that most beeks use the 3/4 inch side of the solid or screened bottom board.  Heck, the entrance reducer is specifically made for that side of the board.  Anybody using the reverse or 3/8 inch side?  And if so, why?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Reversable Bottom Boards
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:21 am »
I have noticed that most beeks use the 3/4 inch side of the solid or screened bottom board.  Heck, the entrance reducer is specifically made for that side of the board.  Anybody using the reverse or 3/8 inch side?  And if so, why?

I use the 3/8 " side because it is easier for the guard bees to protect the hive, keeps mice and larger bee predators from entering.  :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »

I also use the 3/8 inch side, but then I'm using my bottom boards as top entrances.  Like Beehopper said, it makes a thinner entrance for the bees to guard and a strip of 1/4 or 3/8 wood can be used as an entrance reducer.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »

I also use the 3/8 inch side, but then I'm using my bottom boards as top entrances.  Like Beehopper said, it makes a thinner entrance for the bees to guard and a strip of 1/4 or 3/8 wood can be used as an entrance reducer.

Now I remember where I got that idea  ;) :-D

anything