Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: $ for a swarm????????  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
Re: $ for a swarm????????
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:00:36 am »
I just saw a Craigslist ad today from someone that had bees in their siding and wanted the highest bidder to get the job...... sheese!

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:29 am »
This is why I asked.  The add appeared on Craigslist Thursday night.  I thought it was way too high, but like another post said, "they are worth what someone is willing to pay."

Honey Bees - Start BeeKeeping TODAY! - Sold Out - $75 (Milton)
These bees went quickly. If you want to be notified when we have more available please send a text-only message to the number below. Anyone thinking about getting into beekeeping? Today is your day, we captured 4 swarms off our hive today (06-06-13), each one needs a new home. They're swarmed off our BeeWeaver bred honeybees, which are disease resistant, mite tolerant and heavy honey producers. They need to be picked up today or early tomorrow at the latest and you have to have an empty hive ready to go.

$75/swarm

OK, This is a totally different product than some non-beekeper selling you a swarm that happens to be in their tree. This is essentially a package from a known source. I would say this is probably not worth $75 to me but I would pay for this if I had an empty hive to put them in. The real question is why is this beek leaving money on the table and selling "swarms" instead of splitting off nucs? For a $10 investment in frames he could charge $100.

Offline gefdef

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:48 pm »
I charge $130-170 to remove a swarm.  If real easy and close by, may discount to $110 and the person I am getting the swarm from.  I always keep the bees.  I say it costs me $100 to house the bees, so no real profit.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 09:36:33 am »
I pad $70

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 11:36:20 am »
in a box or not!!!  surely he jests

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:31:56 pm »
If theres a mated laying queen, probly $20.00.  Now the thing about the homeowner charging someone to remove their bees thats a new one!  Good luck with that business model!

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »
I am at a point where I have more than enough bees that paying for a swarm is out of the question.  I charge folks gas money to go and pick them up.  If it is with in 15-20 minute drive then I will do it for free.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata