Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alternative Fuelstwo  (Read 4050 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Alternative Fuelstwo
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:31:12 pm »
Any one operating their diesel equipment on waste vegtable oil? I have two diesel trucks that I converted. I plan to convert my tractor this summer. They run great and the exhaust smells good! Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Re: Alternative Fuelstwo
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:26:32 am »
We run a 75% bio fuel in the farm equipment and in my service truck we buy it in bulk at 500 gals.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:37:49 pm »
how expensive was it to convert and where do you get the waste oil?  i have a diesel truck and tractor and would be interested  in looking into some kind of bio-diesel if it's worth the switch.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Alternative Fuels
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:06:14 pm »
I run 100% used vegtable oil that I get (free) from a local Mexican food resturant. I filter it and pour it in the tank and burn it. My first truck conversion cost me about $1200. My second one cost me about $500. I have 12,000 miles on oil with my first truck and about 2,000 miles on my second one. Just go to Google and type in WVO and start reading. I am a carpenter not a mechanic, so it is not difficult if you read and do your homework. Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:20:37 pm »
We run our car on used veggie oil:

We also brew bio-diesel from used veggie oil and burn it in our greenhouse furnaces.  We haven't done anything yet to convert our one delivery truck that uses diesel. 

-- Kris

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:40:03 am »
So you guys just filter and burn the oil straight?  Nothing to refine?  I don't get it.  Nothing special you have to do to your engine to make it run right?  I've been thinking of trading our gas cars in for diesel cars now that diesel is cheaper than gas again, plus I've heard of running weird stuff like this.  Very curious.  :-)

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:04:38 pm »
Sean,

Yes we take USED vegetable oil, filter it, pour it in, and burn it. You car/truck has to have a heat exchanger to heat the oil to thin it. You can use engine coolant for the heat. Go to Google and type in WVO and read.

Steve

anything