Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted bottom racks....  (Read 2406 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Slatted bottom racks....
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:57:45 pm »
I'm making SB racks and SBBs for all my hives - putting them on when I treat for mites alittle later on or in the spring.

I'm using 3\4" PVC as the doweling - 10 pcs. across.  The 19 1\4" PVC pcs. are resting in pocket holes made with a 7\8" Forstner bit drilled approx. 1\2".  I completed one awhile ago and it hit me that the bee space wasn't exactly correct.  It's probably more on the order of 1\2" from the top of  the PVC pcs. to the bottom of the hive body frames hanging down.  The PVC pcs. are also probably 1\2" apart.

On the next ones I can always move the pocket holes alittle more off center on the front and back sides of the rack - that would put the PVC closer to the bottom of the frames above them.. In order to change the spacing between the PVC pcs. to the proper bee spacing I'd probably have to use 1" PVC instead of the 3\4". 

Do you think the proper bee space is necessary on the SB Racks or will it be alright the way I have it now...?

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Re: Slatted bottom racks....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 01:43:50 am »
I've made my slatted racks by simply centering the dowels (1") on the perimeter of the shim that they attach to which is 1 3/8" high. I think I made a few that were 1 3/4" high - the bees have never seemed inclined to make burr comb on it either way. The important detail is to align the dowels so that they are under the frames in the box above. Or below if your using the rack up top too.

The pvc is a nice idea, far more afordable than purchasing 1" dowel stock.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 01:21:43 pm »
I thought it would be ok but I wanted to hear from someone who had already used one that wasn't to the exact bee space specs..

Yeah, the PVC is a bit cheaper.  It'll take approx. 1 1\2  10' sticks per rack on a 10 frame hive body.  Like I mentioned use a 7\8" Forstner bit if you have or a spade drill bit will do the same.  The 7\8" will give you about .050" over the OD of the 3\4" PVC - plenty of room.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:15:17 pm »
I posted a mistake.

On these slatted bottom racks use 1\2" PVC ( not 3\4" as I stated ). The 7\8" forstner bit will give you .050" clearance on 1\2" PVC.....    I just finished 10, I have a few more to go but they turned out good so far.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:24:20 am »
Spacing is the critical answer when making your own slatted racks.  That's why I advised Zoot, and others who have made my design of a slatted rack, to use 1 inch doweling.  I hate plastic in a bee hive, call me old fashioned, but I prefer wood and when it comes to wood, cedar when I can find it and afford it.  For proper spacing and demensions on racks always refer to the width of the top bar of your frames--a smidgin wider is necessary.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!