Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FALL MEDICATIONS  (Read 2649 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
FALL MEDICATIONS
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:00 am »
In preperation for my first fall, I was wondering which medications are you guys using, and how to apply them would be helpful. Thanx .
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:42:16 pm »
That's real easy........ none
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Matz

• New Bee
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »
My fall medications are as follows:

Oxytetracycline-for AFB/EFB
Fumagilin-for Nosema
Formic Acid on Mite Pads-for both Trachael mites and Varroa mites

Started treating with Oxy and Formic as soon as honey supers are pulled off to avoid contamination of honey crop.  Feed HFCS with Fumagilin beginning of Oct.  Opinions will vary, but I always assume that there are some disease/mites and the treatments are neccessary.  And always follow the recommmended instructions for applications...

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 03:00:03 pm »
Apiguard to knock down the mites, nothing else goes into my hives. :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:55:57 pm »
>That's real easy........ none

Same here.  30 years of none.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Medications
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:33 pm »
Zerooooooooooooooo
noneeeeeeeeeeeeeee
nadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

small cell

kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:48:32 pm »
I would check with local beekeeping associations in YOUR area to see what diseases are present.  In some areas it is illegal to not treat hives, for example Skep hives are not allowed to be used as they can't be managed.  My area has many diseases, but this year I treated with fumagilin b for nosema, and apistan and formic acid pads for varroa.  I have a neighbour who doesn't treat his hives for anything.  He collected MUCH less honey this year from established hives than I did from packages.  Bees can survive without treatments depending on the severity of the disease, but skilled management techniques are necessary to not use treatments, and instead go the route of small cell etc.  Read up on the treatments and decide from the facts what you want to use in your hives, or find out the facts about HOW to manage hives without.  There is a large body of information on both perspectives on this site, opinions are very divided, but if this is your first year, you might want to stick with what works in your particular area, whether that is medication or not.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:38:27 am »
I agree to a point with BeeC.  Good management practices are a must, but I don't believe unatural chemicals need be applied.  Better management practices are natural and earth friendly.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
FALL MEDICATIONS
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:44:21 am »
> In some areas it is illegal to not treat hives

I don't know about Canada, but I know of no state that requires you to put chemicals in your beehives.  There are some that would require you to either burn a hive that HAS AFB or treat it, but none, that I know of, that require regular treatments of any kind.  I seriously doubt that treatments are required anywhere.  They are not allowed in many countries.  At all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything