Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen noise in a hive?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline TAH

• New Bee
Queen noise in a hive?
« on: July 31, 2005, 11:37:22 pm »
I was taking a hive out of a wall today (well trying anyway) and as I collected a clump of bees that were near the bottom of the brood section of one of them started making a noise like the queen piping noise that was posted a couple of days ago. Will a queen do this if someone is tearing up the hive?

The hive was at least two years old and had a lot of bees but not a whole lot of honey or comb. I filled a medium super with what I salvaged from the brood section and had about 2 1/2 gallons of comb honey plus maybe another  gallon that I spoiled or couldn't get out of the wall. Another odd thing was there seems to be both very dark bees and golden bees working the hive.  There seemed to be both of all the classes.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Queen noise in a hive?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 11:34:14 am »
Sometimes workers make a sound kind of like piping.  Not as loud and not as long.  They seem to be expecting a response.  At least they seem to GET a response.  When I try to follow it to see if it's the queen I keep finding similar sounds in different places.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything