Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mouse in hive - now what?  (Read 7052 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Mouse in hive - now what?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »
Mice like wax and honey  :-D

so much so i feed it to them as a last meal  :evil:

ha ha works every time in a mouse trap  ;)

mvh edward  :-P

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:00 pm »
Keep mouse traps baited around your hives. I use pieces of bacon. Some local guy just made the paper here where he ran a mouse trapline around his property. I forget how many hundreds he gets every year. If you have ever mowed a hayfield you get a real appreciation of how many mice are out there.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:10 pm »
Bacon sounds like it would work on the dogs, cats, coons, and yotes around the house also.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:29 pm »
Keep mouse traps baited around your hives. I use pieces of bacon. Some local guy just made the paper here where he ran a mouse trapline around his property. I forget how many hundreds he gets every year. If you have ever mowed a hayfield you get a real appreciation of how many mice are out there.

Do the cops lure them in with doughnuts?  lol gotta love stereo types
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 01:37:13 am »
This might be a little off subject but I've noticed that where 15 years ago I could store food items in plastic containers that now the only mouse/rat proof container is metal.  Bought 30 gallon plastic garbage cans to hold the chicken feed. Within a year I had to replace the plastic cans with metal.  It's gotten so bad that if I leave plastic beverage container partially full the mice eat holes in it. 

It's cost a bit but I now have all of my food items stored in metal cans, I have 30 gallon metal garbage cans full of sugar, flour, rice, etc, to keep them edible. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
 :-x lets hope they don t sharpen there teeth eaven more  ;)

kill em all  :ninja: :jerry:

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »
I'll try to send a picture of an all weather continuous mousetrap. Its a five gallon pail with a couple of inches of a water/antifreeze mix in it. Take a smaller can with a top and drill a small hole in top and bottom. Pass a straight piece of coathanger through it and then drill the top of the 5 gal to suspend the can as per picture. Bend ends of coathanger to steady it. Bait the small can by smearing peanutbutter all around it. Place the can next to something the mouse can stand on to jump to the baitcan. It will spin and deposit him in the antifreeze. Dispose of the drowned mice properly where other animals can't get them. Hopefully the picture will follow.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:50:11 pm by buzzbee »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »
A mouse should drown in just a couple of inches of plain water, then you do not have to worry about what gets the dead mouse.

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 07:22:19 pm »
The antifreeze is there to keep it liquid during the winter. You can leave it in the barn or any cold place and it will work.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
Another advantage of living in the South,  at least the ice will melt by lunch to drown the mouse.   :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 12:30:10 am »
Actually, my 5 gallon glass carboys that I make mead in make pretty good mouse traps when I have them stored in my garage.  Much to my irritation when I want to make a batch of mead.  Think mouse oubliette...

Update:  I ended up putting three really long rubber bands together and used that to attach a cardboard box to the front of the hive.  Hole in box, trap in box.  Caught mouse already.  I reset trap and put it back in place as I am not going to assume that there was just one mouse.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 07:44:00 am »
  I reset trap and put it back in place as I am not going to assume that there was just one mouse.

Excellent thinking. :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything