Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where in Victoria do you guys buy your frames/supers/equipment from?  (Read 6139 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hi Everybody,

I figured this is something that might be handy for everybody on the local forum.... where in Victoria do you guys buy your equipment from and what do you pay for, say, an 8 frame super flat pack or assembled?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
That depends on how desperate I am for the equipment. The cheepest local I have bought from is Bob's. If it's a while away from the next beeclub meeting I sometimes go to Going Solar (not cheap) If I'm in a real hurry, I'll drop in on Redpath's in my lunch break as I work down that way. Not particularly enamoured with Redpath's though, I don't get a friendly vibe from them when I go in there.

I get my 8 frame boxes flat and assemble them myself. I prefer the interlocking join style which Redpath's don't do.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Thanks Philinacoma,

I'm looking at buying from Bobs - but he only does rebated supers not the interlocking joint ones.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I may have that the wrong way round. Maybe it was Bob who didn't do the interlocks and Redpaths did. :-\
I know Going Solar deffinitely do. There is another bits seller somewhere around Strathmore, but I've never sussed him out as he doesn't seem to have a web site.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
yeah, redpaths do interlocking... so you only buy interlocking? have you ever tried the rebated? fors/againsts?

I find a website is very important - i don't look much further if they don't have a website - i don't have time to call them all up to find out what they sell

Offline robbo

• New Bee
Redpaths, I reckon, are the best at internet/email type stuff in Australia.

I shop there fom near qld/nsw border - outstanding service.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
My belief is that the interlocking is stronger. I have been told that the interlocking provides more oportunity for water to get into the wood. Beyond that I don't know.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Yeah, i have heard the same thing... I might give the rebated a shot and see how they go. If they're not moved all the time it shouldn't be a problem and the fact they don't let so much water in to the end grains would be a good thing. I can imagine if you were running a commercial operation and lifting/moving all the time the extra strength of interlocking would be imperative and you could forego some life/increased maintenance requirement with water getting in to the end grains.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Bob is best on price and will always give great and affordable advice.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I reckon Bobs the man :-D

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Re: Where in Victoria do you guys buy your frames/supers/equipment from?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 07:22:26 am »
Rebated boxes seal well if you nail, screw, glue and clamp when putting them together. Easier to build I have found. I used a bought box as a template for measurements. Measure twice and cut once. Have not got the hang of building frames well enough as yet. Tricky critters to make.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:51:04 am »
Yeah, that's my thought - buy a flat pack rebated box and then just use it as a template to make others... I'm going to have a shot at sourcing some unique timbers and oil them rather than paint them...

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »
I read somewhere that certain oils are toxic to the bees.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »
I read somewhere that certain oils are toxic to the bees.

I was thinking Linseed might be the go... are there any other oils that people use?

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:46 am »
Over time linseed darkens due to something in it. I am still reseaerching myslef for some type of oil, sealer that is affordable and resiliant. The texture and colour of timber is always pleasant to look at. I relaise that the white colour has a + for temperature management in summer.Can you let me know if find an oil that is suitable and not toxic to the bees?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
Over time linseed darkens due to something in it. I am still reseaerching myslef for some type of oil, sealer that is affordable and resiliant. The texture and colour of timber is always pleasant to look at. I relaise that the white colour has a + for temperature management in summer.Can you let me know if find an oil that is suitable and not toxic to the bees?

Hey Mardak, yeah, ill keep you posted... i too enjoy the natual look of the timber and would love to find something that can present that whilst being resilient...

anything