Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 Hive Dump  (Read 3101 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
3 Hive Dump
« on: April 19, 2005, 10:41:36 am »
I drove to Lynchburg, VA yesterday to pick up my new bees (110 mi each way), three packages of them. It was a beautiful day for the drive and it was all state roads, no interstate which made it a nicer drive, rolling hills more things to look at not just drive dead straight for a couple of hours. I have not gotten packages before and was a bit nervous about loading them into hives. All three packages seemed to be very active, healthy and with very few dead.

I called John up to get any last minute pointers that I might have forgotten and went outside put on a veil (to keep bees from getting tangled up in my hair and beard, which can be very distracting) and opened  and dumped my first package. This is me putting down the package sfter dumping.

It all went well, no stings, but I did do one thing wrong. And this could be a big one. The first queen cage I removed the wrong cork (8(l) DOH!
Chalk it up to being a bit nervous at doing this for the first time and never having seen a queen cage before, it's so darn obvious and I missed it. Well I hope it works out ok if not I'll pull a frame of brood from C3 and let them raise their own queen.

I am trying for the first time and haven't seen any posts on them yet EZ Frames from Dadant, does anyone have experience with them?
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=614&osCsid=24612717f0b8cb71a12b188b8ebc3fc8
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
3 Hive Dump
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 10:45:46 am »
I usually direct relase the queens for a package.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: 3 Hive Dump
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:55:05 am »
Quote from: BigRog

I am trying for the first time and haven't seen any posts on them yet EZ Frames from Dadant, does anyone have experience with them?
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=614&osCsid=24612717f0b8cb71a12b188b8ebc3fc8

I have no experience with these particular frames,  but I did try the Pierco one-piece frames and didn't like them.  For one they are harder to grasp with the frame holder (plastic/metal is slipperier than wood/metal) and I found them too flimsy/flexing when drawn and filled.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison