Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of bees do you have ?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
What kind of bees do you have ?
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
Hi All,What kind of bees do you have and why that kind ? We have buckfast and Cordovan Italian now.
 We have them because,THE BUCKFAST BEE

At Buckfast Abbey in Devon, England, Brother Adam's primary aim was to breed a bee with high resistance to tracheal mites. When he had accomplished that, he began incorporating good traits he found in various races of bees during his extensive travels. He developed a bee which was gentle, had highly fecund queens, were high honey producers with a low swarming tendency, and were good wintering bees with a low consumption of stores. We are continuing to improve this strain (Pictured is Br. Adam at home in Buckfast Abbey).

An excellent choice for the Northern States and the East Coast Region.

During a two year test of six stocks of bees at the University of Minnesota, the Buckfast ranked:

Nosema in Queens - none
Acceptance - BEST (100%)
Spring Buildup - BEST
Gentleness - very gentle (second just behind Midnites)
Swarming Tendency - very low (ranked second)
Propolizing - slight (All Buckfast colonies)
Longevity of Queens - TIED FOR BEST (87% after 16 months)
Wintering - TIED FOR BEST
and...
HONEY PRODUCTION - BEST (during two years). For details see the February, March, and April 1982 issues of American Bee Journal.

In Addition to these tests results we have observed the following:

Housekeeping - Buckfast bees keep a clean, neat hive. This helps them to resist diseases of the brood.

Adaptation - These bees do well anywhere, but are especially well adapted to areas having damp, cold winters.

Compatibility - Buckfast Queens cross well with other breeds.

Color - Variable. The bees have a tendency toward a general dark Italian appearance.

Italian Cordovans

Italians have been exclusively light-colored Cordovans ever since. They have many fine qualities: the queens are very prolific, known for their rapid spring buildup, and they are very gentle.

Anatomy
Color: Abdomen has brown and yellow bands. Among different strains of Italian bees there are three different colors: Leather; bright yellow (golden); and very pale yellow (Cordovan).
Size: The bodies are smaller and their overhairs shorter than those of the darker honeybee races
Tongue length: 6.3 to 6.6 mm
Mean Cubital index: 2.2 to 2.5

[edit] Disease Resistance
There is no clear evidence that ligustica are any more resistant to acarine mites than the Northern dark bee. They also appear to be less tolerant of Nosema than Northern dark bees. They are unable to retain faeces in the gut for long periods and require more frequent cleaning flights than the dark bees. They are affected by the parasitic varroa mite, Tracheal Mites, and the bacterial diseases European Foulbrood, American Foul Brood, Chalkbrood and other diseases of the honey bee.

[edit] Behavior

[edit] beneficial
shows strong disposition to breeding and very prolific
excellent housekeeper (which some scientists think might be a factor in disease resistance)
uses little propolis
excellent foragers
superb comb builders
covers the honey with brilliant white cappings
shows lower swarming tendency than other Western honey bee races
for areas with continuous nectar flow and favorable weather throughout the summer

[edit] not beneficial
more prone to drifting and robbing than the other principal races of Europe.
Often the strong brood rearing disposition and resulting large food consumption in late winter or early spring causes spring dwindling and hence slow or tardy spring development
brood rearing starts late and lasts long into late Summer or Autumn, irrespective of nectar flow
tends to forage over shorter distances than either carnica or mellifera, and may therefore be less effective in poorer nectar flows.
apparently lacks the ability to ripen heather honey before sealing.
for cool maritime regions
for areas with strong spring flow
for areas with periods of dearth of nectar in the summer

[edit] Character

Italian honey bees bearding outside the hive entranceIt has a reputation for gentleness, but hybrids with the darker races can be especially vicious.

[edit] Selective breeding
Breeders of Italian bees as well as other honey bee races look for certain beneficial characteristics. Depending on the breeding goal one or more of the following characteristics will be emphasized.

Gentleness or excitability
Resistance to various diseases and the tracheal mite plus the Varroa mite
Early spring buildup in population
Wintering ability
Not prone to excess swarming
Ripens honey rapidly
Honeycomb cappings are white
Minimal use of propolis
Availability and queen cost
Color
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: What kind of bees do you have ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »
Mutts I tell ya I have mutts  :-D Just like 90 percent of the other keeps in the world that have open bred queens :shock:
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »
The stinging kind. :-D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:02:27 pm »
mutts here also, although there are some different strains of mutts, I got em.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:41:13 pm »
Heinz variety

Made up of course of 57 species

Mick

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:49:14 pm »
Mutts I tell ya I have mutts  :-D Just like 90 percent of the other keeps in the world that have open bred queens :shock:

Mine most likely are too,they say what they are and they look like what they say but who knows what all was mixed in in the past.Kinda like people.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:37 pm »
Heinz variety

Made up of course of 57 species

Mick

What kind of bees do you have ? I got Honey Bees Heinz 57 kind

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »
Simply the Best!  :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:26 pm »
Very expensive ones !! :bee:  So the lady of the house says ! :hissyfit:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 11:22:33 pm »
 I have one buckfast hive. Introduced queen to a swarm caught this spring, seem to be gentle and doing well. also changing over to Italians from Russians, also have a couple of random wild captured swarms.
  I really didn't care for Russians because of the tendency to be more aggressive, they just don't seem to be very happy. I know other people will have different experiences with them ,but for now I'm done with them commie bugs
David

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »
wonder if it depends on where you get your Russians?  my one and only Russian hive was great.  others in the area that bought from same, liked theirs.  of course, they requeened themselves and ended up mutts  :-).  decided not to spend the extra again and now most that i have are from swarms, cutouts, and combinations....real mutts!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Feral Italians, aka mutts. Why? Because I have easy access and they are very gentle, most are good honey producers.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 12:01:00 am »
mean bees !!!!!    :evil:

well, just that one so-called Italian hive I just re-queened and will be sending samples to Texas A & M for AB determination.  May come back negative - we'll see......

My other hive is a gentle Italian and a joy to work.

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:28 am »
Carniolan
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:38 am »
I think in 1982 I would have agreed with that assessment of Buckfasts.  In fact, all the way until 2001 I had that experience.  Not anymore.

Mine are mutts.  Feral survivor stock that I breed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 06:11:22 pm »
Carniolan
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 07:08:49 pm »
2 Hives of Russians from packages started late May

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 10:56:43 pm »
1 Russian, 1 Caucasian, 1 Russian/Carnie cross which just superseded so who know's what they'll be, and 1 swarm of probably carnie based mutts.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 11:31:36 pm »
I put a swarm I caught in my plum tree into a hive.  First honey bee's we have seen on our property in over ten years.  These are very gently bee's as this is the first hive I have ever had and they don't seem to mind me intruding on them.  Now How do i tell what kinda bee's they are?   I would guess Italians as they fit the color discription and the gentleness.  other than that Don't know.   

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 12:42:37 am »
Hardy Cajun mutts - water meter cutout, swarm retreived 'hybrids' - mutts...hurricane proof (cross yer fingers, season starts next month)!! GEna :evil: