Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Banking" a queen to wait on a swarm?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
"Banking" a queen to wait on a swarm?
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:40:44 pm »
So I came through Winter with 0 bees.  I have two packages coming first part of May - Italians from the South and one with Russian queen from Tennesee.   I had wanted to get some hygienic queens this year, but now have no bees to put them with.  I really am going after swarms this year - I got 3 last year and didn't have nearly as much info out there.  Is there some way I can use the packages coming to keep a few queens ready for if I get swarms?  Put one with double excluder on top of the package bees deeps in a medium?  I have lots of frames both deep and mediums with drawn comb :roll: that I can use.  Any information, thoughts, or other methods happily interested in!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: "Banking" a queen to wait on a swarm?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:57:54 pm »
JC,
You might just try calling the queen producer and see if you could get your queen at a later time. Most breeders are fully booked early in the season and any delay or order pushed back is sometimes appreciated. That way, if you get a swarm, you can then use the queen that came with the swarm, and replace as the queen producer can get one to you. And if you don't get a swarm, you can schedule to your ability to split, etc.

This seems better than ling term banking of a queen and perhaps just wasting your money.

You can bank, but over a period of time, the bees will favor the queen laying eggs, and will even propolis over the queen cage if stored this way.

And to split the package to have two queen running is really limiting the colonies ability to grow. A package will grow better with one queen compared to two small clusters with two queens.

I'd delay getting the queens.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:41:55 pm »
the nice thing about swarms is that they almost always come with queens.   :-D  not only does this save you money, but you are probably getting better acclimated bees/queens, depending on the swarm source.

rarely you'll get an after swarm that has lost it's virgin queen, or you'll lose her after you  hive them.  your early swarms usually have nice fat queens ready to go.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:33:43 pm »
I'm with Kathy. I wouldn't trade a queen from a swarm for 2 bought queens.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:29:38 pm »
Genetics aside (I agree with Kathy and iddee) the best way to bank a queen is in a nuc where she can lay.  You can steal brood and honey from it on occasion to keep it from becoming a hive, or let it grow to a hive if you like.  Meanwhile you have a spare queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:11 am »
I have two packages coming first part of May - Italians from the South and one with Russian queen from Tennesee.   

JC

Im almost scared to ask, but where did you order a Russian package from in Tennessee?

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:37:33 am »
I got it from Walter T. Kelly, and knowing my luck you are about to tell me that they are evil incarnate, but there aren't a lot of packages out there that I could find at the time.  Any other leads on packages for future reference are happily accepted,  although the hubby would explode if I bought a third package at this point! :-D

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:07:50 am »
If you get a bad report on Kelley, it will be the first I have seen. Although they buy their packages from someone else, they are well known for standing behind everything they sell.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:21 am »
I got it from Walter T. Kelly, and knowing my luck you are about to tell me that they are evil incarnate, but there aren't a lot of packages out there that I could find at the time.  Any other leads on packages for future reference are happily accepted,  although the hubby would explode if I bought a third package at this point! :-D

JC

Nope, not at all,but I think Kelley is in Kentucky. You just had me concerned when you said 'Russian package from Tennessee'. I dont know of any Russian package producers in Tn other than a guy that is well known for taking peoples money and then never sending them. I ordered some Kelley Russian Hybrids this year too-April 9th ship date. Ive heard that they are good bees, I sure hope so.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »
Oops, my mistake!  And I grew up in Ohio, I should know the difference between Tennessee and Kentucky! :roll:

JC

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:53 pm »
You can steal brood and honey from it on occasion to keep it from becoming a hive, or let it grow to a hive if you like.

I have to ask, what qualifies as a hive?  Doesn't a nuc have everything that a hive has except lower numbers?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:27 pm »
i guess it was meant the difference between a nuc (4-5 frames) and a full hive -whether 8 or 10 frames. A colony in a nuc qualifies as a colony just like one in a full hive, as you said, just smaller in number (though i have known small hive and big nuc)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »
A nuc is a partial hive, a starter.  A hive is assumed to be productive.  But the terms are used loosely and interchangeably.
And yes, a nuc as all the components of a hive, it is just not of a size to be productive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!