Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Check list of how to purchase bees...  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Mek

• New Bee
Check list of how to purchase bees...
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:09:22 am »
Hey can someone just confirm what I should be checked before purchasing the bees.

Are you a registered bee keeper?  Yes No
What is your registered number?
Address where bees come from?
When do we pick up the bees?
How many bees am I getting (approx)?
How much does it cost?
How and when should your box be returned if using your box to transport?
Are we trading frames?
If the transaction of canceled due to bad weather when can we organise the next transport date?
How are we actually transport the bees? Am I picking it up or are you delivering it?
Have you had any problems with diseases?
How old is the ueen?

Are there any other uestions I need to ask?

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
Re: Check list of how to purchase bees...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:34 am »
Hi Mek,
are you planning to purchase bees from a registered breeder such as Goldfield's Honey or Brown's Bees or from a private seller? If you are buying from a private seller I would really check on the disease side of it. That is not to say that breeders can't have diseased hives, but their livelihood depends on everything being up to speed and their bees disease free.
I just purchased 15 packages of bees from Goldfield's and they are the best bees I've ever had. Extremely gentle and very easy to work with.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:37:42 am »
Hey can someone just confirm what I should be checked before purchasing the bees.

Are you a registered bee keeper?  Yes No
What is your registered number?
Address where bees come from?
When do we pick up the bees?
How many bees am I getting (approx)?
How much does it cost?
How and when should your box be returned if using your box to transport?
Are we trading frames?
If the transaction of canceled due to bad weather when can we organise the next transport date?
How are we actually transport the bees? Am I picking it up or are you delivering it?
Have you had any problems with diseases?
How old is the ueen?

Are there any other uestions I need to ask?

My advice would be to try and buy  a newly boxed swarm on NEW frames  with new frames you are less likely to have a build up of disease on them and usually only healthy hives swarm, then requeen them  with a nice gentle queen 2 to 3 frames of brood and a good covering of bees over most of the frames.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:33 am »
How many hives are you looking at purchasing? I'm out of control with the hives I have and will probably need to off load some by new year.
Shane

Offline Mek

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »
Hey Shane,

Thanks for the offer... I am just looking for one hive... and would like to start with a nuc.
But the guy I am dealing with is not to far to drive to.  And I am hoping he would be willing to mentor me if I have any strange issues/ I work full time and if for some reason my hive swarms I need someone who can deal with it.  ... Unless form catching is okay to do late in the afternoon...

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
I would be asking if your seller is willing to go through the hive with you a couple of days before pickup, show you the brood and spot the queen etc. Perhaps even transfer into your equipment at the same time.
The old fellow that gave us our first hive helped us transfer the bees into our boxes the day before we picked them up which was a real help and gave me the confidence to do inspections on my own.
Paul

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:05:41 am »
I would be asking if your seller is willing to go through the hive with you a couple of days before pickup, show you the brood and spot the queen etc. Perhaps even transfer into your equipment at the same time.
The old fellow that gave us our first hive helped us transfer the bees into our boxes the day before we picked them up which was a real help and gave me the confidence to do inspections on my own.
Paul

I agree with Paul,
                        to be shown does give you confidence you cant get from a book

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:53:52 am »
Hey Birdswood, I just got six packages from GoldFields Honey AWESOME bee's and strong Packages.

Cheers
Steve
sry about the hijack Mek

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:25:58 am »
I just purchased 15 packages of bees from Goldfield's and they are the best bees I've ever had. Extremely gentle and very easy to work with.
How did you go with shipping? I contacted two package suppliers last year when I was first starting, one didn't get back to me and the other said pickup only, no shipping  :'(

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 06:16:08 am »
Yeah that's right Prestonpaul, I had to drive to Bathurst to collect them  but it was worth the drive I believe. They seem to be some of the best bees I've ever had...really gentle and keen to work. What a shame there's nothing much happening around here as far as eucalypt blossom is concerned, but I'm just about ready to transfer half the hives to other bee yards that I've got around the district. If only we could get some rain... :(

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:18:05 am »
I agree Anybrew. More than happy with the packages I got and what a great setup they've got there with the Beekeeper's Inn, etc.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 05:19:21 pm »
Yeah that's right Prestonpaul, I had to drive to Bathurst to collect them  but it was worth the drive I believe. They seem to be some of the best bees I've ever had...really gentle and keen to work. What a shame there's nothing much happening around here as far as eucalypt blossom is concerned, but I'm just about ready to transfer half the hives to other bee yards that I've got around the district. If only we could get some rain... :(
Maybe us Southerners should get together next year and do a group buy from them? Spreading the cost of fuel etc accross 3 or 4 people would make it a much more viable proposition.

Back on topic, start practicing with your smoker now Mek, that's the one thing I've struggled with the most over the last 12 months. Lighting it is no problem, but keeping it lit is another thing altogether. I think I've gotten it under control now but its taken long enough :shock: if you can get it going nicely and walk away for half an hour or so and still have it going when you come back you are on the right track. :-D

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:30 pm »
That's good advice Prestonpaul and another thing Mek...learn to talk to your bees, cos if you're calm, then more than likely they'll be calm. I rarely use any smoke these days. The only time I use it is if the girls are a little "pissy" to pinch a JP word.
No, I'm not the bee whisperer, I was told about it by an old commercial keeper once and it seems to work. Not saying I don't get the odd"pop", but not often.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »
Mek,

If you are getting your bees from around Mt Tamborine you need to be a little bit careful. The woman I spoke to the other week got her first lot off an old gentleman up that way and they had AFB. She had to get rid of the bees and have all her gear irradiated.

I suggest you educate yourself on the appearance of AFB in the hive and have the seller open up your hive and go through it with you before you finalise the purchase. Take another experienced beek if you know one.

Offline Mek

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:25 am »
Thank you everyone for your advice.

@ Bernsad - Would you happen to know the name of the person she was dealing with?  Could you private message me this information.

@ Birdswood - Yes will speak to the bees. I always talk to myself anyways.

@ Prestonpaul  - Maybe the members of your local bee club would like to do a group buy... I know my local club does a group buy for ueens.  I will train on my smoker and will be blowing out floating pirate ships like Gandalf the Grey.

Another uestion, the guy is less than six kilometers from my place.. would I have to keep the bees locked up for 3 days to keep them from going astray?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:07 pm »
Mek,

I don't know, sorry. I'm not local around there so it was pointless asking and she didn't volunteer the information, it was just an "old guy from Tamborine".

5 - 6kms should be alright, I don't think you would lose many there, particularly if there is much flowering around you they won't need to venture too far from their new home.