Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chicks with deformed legs  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Chicks with deformed legs
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:20:16 am »
We have been incubating chicks, some are coming out with kind of deformed legs, like how I mean is that it appears that the hip may be disjointed and not sitting correctly.  This happened with a couple of chicks in our last incubation in the incubator.  I am wondering if this is a genetic thing we need to deal with, or something that others may be familiar with.  We had 15 hatch out so far and out of those we have had to destroy about 4 of them, I am sure that they were not keeping.  Help me with this issue, so new to this part of our farmyard.  Have a wonderful day and a beautiful day in our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Chicks with deformed legs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:12:21 am »
Out of the sets of eggs I've done over the last 2 years I've only had 1 chick with that problem.  That is the breed of chicken?  The 1 that had the bum hip joint was a light Brahma.  Yes it is genetic.  If you can identify which hens are laying the eggs that are priducing the lame chicks and 86 them you should get rid of the defect.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:31:41 am »
Cindi, you can't give them little canes to walk with? Sorry you have to 86 some. That's life, like a bad queen you have to put down. Good luck finding the hasbeen.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:40 am »
I've only seen it when incubating them.  I think the temperature is slightly (very slightly) too hot.  Sometimes they seem to pull out of it and finally walk right and sometimes they don't survive that long.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:13:45 am »
We have been incubating chicks, some are coming out with kind of deformed legs, like how I mean is that it appears that the hip may be disjointed and not sitting correctly.  This happened with a couple of chicks in our last incubation in the incubator.  I am wondering if this is a genetic thing we need to deal with, or something that others may be familiar with.  We had 15 hatch out so far and out of those we have had to destroy about 4 of them, I am sure that they were not keeping.  Help me with this issue, so new to this part of our farmyard.  Have a wonderful day and a beautiful day in our life.  Cindi
Cindi, do you know about the [urlhttp://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/]Backyard Chickens forum[/url]?  I've been reading it for a few years, in anticipation of finally getting my chickens started - it looks as though next spring may be the time!  But anyhoo, I know I've read of people having these problems with chicks and they use a rubber band around their little legs to pull the errant leg back into position (but I have no idea how to do it!).  Post over there and I'm sure you'll get a good answer!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:18:05 am »
 :) :) :)Ann, that looks like a great site and yep, uh huh, I am going to have that as another learning tool to have some fun with.  Thanks, you are a woman full of great information  :)  I will go on the forum there and figure out what we can do about the poor little chicks.  The remainder of these dudes should have hatched out last night.  But we have another batch that will be hatching out in a little over a week from now.  By that time I will be ready with information on hand to help them out (or not).

Brian, I am unsure of the chicken breed.  My Sister has told me, but I forget, I know that they are brown though (hee, hee) and lay brown eggs.  It is kind of a weird name.  I can bet it is genetics, but to find out the chicken that is laying the bad eggs would be a rather difficult task to do I would think.

I can't remember if I told you guys that my Sister went to the auction two weeks ago and bought a whole swack of chickens for .25 cents each.  What a horrible time of year to sell birds, they were practically giving them away.  She bought about 50 or so. 

We have been feeding them up, giving them colloidal silver water mixed in with their water to drink for the first few days, and they are looking much better.  So many of them had all the feathers pulled out of their backends, they looked like little aliens.  But the pin feathers are all growing back, it looks really funny all these black nubs sticking out all over the place.  They are finally looking really good.

There are so many species of chickens that we got.   I will get some good pictures when we allow them outside, they are still inside, but this week's weather is looking pretty good tomorrow, so maybe they will get released.  I know for sure we have some brown ones like we have, some Barred Rock, one that looks like an owl, and is enormous (I think he is actually crossed with an owl  :roll: ;), at that), there are some that are small and white that kind of remind me of the Silkies that we had, but not as fluffy and several other weird looking ones. 

I am pretty excited cause they all look so good, and having such close contact with them, they are getting really friendly like all our other chickens.

I get such a kick out of our relatives or people that come to visit us and I tell them how well trained our chickens are.  We go out to the chickenyard and of course, you know the eagle eyes of chickens.  They see us coming, they know that probably we have something good for them to snack on, so they watch us very closely.

I always have little scraps of bread that I bring with me out to visit them.  If I bring the bread bag out from within my pocket they all come running.  BUT......the funniest thing is when we are walking there, I begin to call them "chick, chick, chick, chick" making that chicky sound I do, they come running as fast as their little legs can carry them.  (you all that keep chickens, you know exactly what I am talking about, how fast they really can run!!!!!!!).  Some will even fly a few feet to get there faster than the others.  The bread pieces are thrown and they run like the dickens to get the bread, they hang out, wait, hang out, run, I love the chickens.  Even typing this little story about them gets me all excited to go and see them and bring them their well loved treats.  I can't express how much I love raising chickens and ducks.  This has brought such a happiness to my life (along with my bees), and man, when I get those double yoker eggs, I love my chickens even more.  Man can I ramble.  It seems when I get to a'typing, I just can't stop, so many thoughts come into my mind.  Now where was I?  I can hardly remember what the original topic of this post was  :-\ :)

The banties are the smart ones.  They will grab a hunk of bread and run far away with it and then eat it, man can they run like the wind!!!!  I love how our big white rooster, Roakfort, makes his girbly sounds to show his girls the food particles, he usually doesn't eat much, he is focussing on taking care of his heirom, and really loves to feed them well.  Cute.

I think the most beautiful part of raising chickens is when I gather the eggs (I am the gatherer) and bring them into the house to ensure they are clean.  As I am cleaning these eggs, I marvel at the fact that tomorrow morning, should we have some eggs to eat, I know that these are fresh, I know what these chickens are eating and I know that there is nothing on this ol' earth that tastes like a fresh homegrown egg.  I thank my lucky stars that I am so fortunate to have these soooooeeeet treasures from the chickenyard.  I am a lucky woman.

Ooops, Ann.  You just wait until you get chickens.  It will delight your soul.  You will spend hours watching those birds, there is never a dull moment in the chickenyard, and the beautiful sounds they make will enhance your love of life.  Yeah!!!  Good for you.  Come next summer, you will have another part in your life that will bring you joy, as do your bees.  Yeah!!!!

Have a wonderful and beautiful day, in this great ol' earth.  Cindi

I did get a picture when we got the new chickens of the one that I think is crossed with an owl, not a great shot, but this is what it looks like

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:17:05 pm »
Cindi, I always enjoy reading your posts. You ramble on if you wanna girl! Your life's stories are quite interesting but I'm in a dilemma, do we call you the bee lady, the duck lady or the chicken lady? Can you really taste the difference between a fresh egg and store bought? I always buy the brown ones and love those double yokes, they are like winning the egg lottery. See ya, Cindi aka Cindi Doolittle. :-D :-P
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:09 pm »
JP, there is no comparison between store bought, factory farm raised eggs and nice real farm fresh eggs.  I'll never buy a supermarket egg again after learning so much about how those birds are treated.  There's no reason why a chicken has to live like that - even if we're going to eat it, it deserves to live a good normal chicken life, not debeaked in a cage never seeing the light of day.  There are three farms near me where I can see the chickens, know how they're raised, and I have no qualms about paying $2.50 a dozen.  The eggs are fresher, the yolks bright golden yellow, they sit high on the whites (the whites don't run all over the pan) and they're just delish. 

Mother Earth News has just published an update to an earlier article about the health benefits of eating real free-range eggs.  Check it out here. if you're interested.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:02 pm »
Animals of any kind are interesting to watch.  

I get a real kick out of watching the chickens, especially a mama hen teaching her newly hatched chicks the what and wherefores.  The pigeons are also funny, they get really comical and romantic, the billing that goes on between birds "getting to know each other" is cute.  There is a lot of similarities between pigeons and bees, if you have the time and ability to observe both.  Papa goat has been teaching junior all the proper head butting techniques, the rear back and lunge is my favorite.  Sometimes I think they're going to knock each other senseless.  Junior was born polled where both parents had to be dehorned--I like the natural poll look on a goat. My wife wants to get both billies fixed but I'm more of a mind to try and breed for a polled goat.

I just finished remodeling my chicken pen to better accomidate the steps from incubator to brooder, to intermediate, to fryer and layer.  I now have a dedicated space for each stage of development.  I also want to build a couple of pens for selective breeding--I have this idea of developing a big, broad breasted, dual purpose chicken, that lays multi-colored eggs and runs to 10-15 lbs at maturity.  That's a chicken the size of a small turkey.

Now it's back to finishing the fence for the goat pasture extension.  After that it's more nest boxes and perches for the pigeons.  I plan on racing both young birds (the reason for more nest boxes) and widowhood gents next year. then there is the building of more bee equipment for next year and fencing in the beeyard and garden.  

I only have 1 1/4 acres but you'd think it was a full section sized farm with all the chores I have lined up to do over the rest of my life.

Cindi and others: If you want to help out on developing my Homestead Chicken PM me for details.  I'll give you info on the breeds the hybrid is to be debeloped from and breeding instructions.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:50:57 am by Brian D. Bray »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:56 am »
Reinbeau, thanks for the webpage link. I read Jon Robbin's Diet For A New America yrs ago and was horrified. Things haven't seemed to have changed much in recent times. I am hopeful though, some of my local grocers have been stocking chemical free, hormone free milk for a few yrs now.

Brian, good luck with your chickens.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
JP, ooooh you make me wanna laugh!!!  I am happy that I make you happy!!!  That is good!!!!  Yes, there is no comparison whatsoever to the ichy store bought eggs, I can't even think about the difference.  I normally do no like eggs one little bit, but without a word of exageration, I love my homegrown eggs.

Ann, you have the deal of the century if you are paying $2.50 for farm fresh eggs.  We sell our eggs for $3.00 a dozen to the locals and we sell them for $4.00 to our yuppie friends in the city.  We have a friend who takes about 17 dozen a month to sell to all her pals at her school where she teaches. They are so pleased to get such a deal because "organic" eggs (we only buy organic food actually) go for $5.00 a dozen in the city, Vancouver.

Brian, now you are doing some interesting stuff at your place too.  I love to hear what you are up to.  I love the pigeon idea and I wish, I really do wish that we could get a couple of goats or two.  But I have had dealings with Nubian goats (I love the floppy ears) and they get into so much trouble around my place that I can't be bothered to keep them.  They are surely sweet though, I love goats.  If ever I could get proper fencing made, then I would without a second hesitance get goats again.  Such cool animals.

My Grandsons had two rabbits that my Sister gave them. Oh brother, what a sore in my side they became. The novelty wore off and I wound up having to mostly take care of them.....but they are gone now.  My Sister went to the aution a couple of weeks ago, and the rabbits mysteriously disappeared.  The kids thought they ran away until I told them that they went to a great home.  They don't miss them one little bit.

So, maybe I could convert the rabbit pen to a pigeon house. It is near our home, my Husband built a great and wonderful rabbit pen and house underneath their tree fort.   I can bet your bottom dollar that it would house a few pigeons with ease.  I will be thinking deeply about that venture.  And Brian, maybe I will lean on you for alittle knowledge about how to look after them. Time will tell that tale, so hold on.

I think that we are going to have to build one of our boxstalls into what you have created Brian for the stages of development of the chickens.  When the chicks are incubated my Sister takes them up into her house for a couple of weeks and keeps them in her laundry room where it is nice and warm (hee, hee) (smiling).  But I am sure that she would surely want them to be outside instead of inside  ;) :)  So, that is another road to travel down, one day.  Thank the stars above my Sister is a designer and builder.  She is creative and has the most wonderful ability to build.  Yeah!!!!  She is so talented she can even design clothes, she is a work and a wonder for sure.

Brian, yes, I am going to PM you and ask for details on what you are doing over there with the breedy stuff.  I am interested and it would be such a fun project.  I will also talk to my Sister and she if she would be interested too.  I am sure she would be, we both love to experiment with things, yeah!!!!!  I wanna hear what you are up to.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on this great planet, Earth!!!!  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:13:25 pm »
If you decide to bite the bullit and get some pigeons can I suggest Black Country Rollers (aka Birmingham Rollers).  These little acrobats tumble from 100s of feet in the air and occassionally hit the ground. They get up a bit grogy, shake their heads, take to the air again and do it all over, and over, and over.  You will definitely be delighted watching these ball of feathers cartwheel head over heels for a few flips to 50 or more. 

If you want birds as pets, verses racing, the rollers are the way to go.  You can even convert your old rabbit pens into cages for the pigeons with 1 pair to a pen.  They will provide hours of "free" entertainment and hold your visitors in awe.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 11:37:35 am »
Brian, OK, that sounds interesting.  More research to do about raising pigeons, I think that sounds slightly more interesting than old rabbits, they were a nuisance and the kids may really love them and their acrobatic natures.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »
don't use newspaper as litter for chicks it is too slippery and can cause leg problems.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 10:16:48 pm »
Yeh, pigeons are pretty cool. I like the fact that they can come and go and arent locked up. I have about 70 pure white racers. My dad used to race pigeons and he didnt like the white ones as he thought they attracted hawks more than the dark ones did. He did real good but the pigeon club became real political and clocking technology entered the hobby and he just kinda quit.I talked him into keeping a pair of whites and then I got them along with their offspring when I moved out into the country. They pretty much just eat and poo and fly around in circles but I still like them. Racing pigeons can fly over 60 miles per hour sometimes and  they were shipped up to 600 miles away during race season. Its sad but nobody races pigeons much anymore. For me, I wouldnt race them because, unlike my dad, I dont liike the idea of sitting out in the yard looking at the sky all day waiting for a pigeon to come home. And if theyre coming back from hundreds of miles they do deserve to be watched and cared for like that.
 Now, I'd like to get peacocks! I havent got any yet because I'm afraid my dogs would liike them too!
yalls friend, john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 09:07:13 pm »
>>For me, I wouldnt race them because, unlike my dad, I dont liike the idea of sitting out in the yard looking at the sky all day waiting for a pigeon to come home. And if theyre coming back from hundreds of miles they do deserve to be watched and cared for like that.

You don't have to wait around for them.  I will be using an electronic timer that picks up the magnetic band on the leg of the pigeon as it enters the loft.  I train my birds to come directly into the loft from flying on either a training or racing toss.  2 things are waiting for the mated males when they get home, food and his honey in the nest box.  It's called widowhood style of racing.  For the young birds (under 1 year old) I just train them to trap immediately--always toss them hungry and have dinner waiting. A 1/2 sister to the birds I have was clocked at 1456 yards per minute--that's over three football stadiums--and in excess of 60 mph on a 500 mile race. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 09:57:26 am »
Brian, this topic of pigeons is fascinating!!!!!  I don't think honestly that I would have the time, but I wonder still if I could get my oldest Grandson interested in having some pigeons, I really think this could be his baleywick.  I am going to ask him this morning when he comes over if he would have any interest in this area.  He is just turned 13 and a pretty responsible young man.  (He now is about 5 inches taller than me, his voice changed suddenly to deep, man voice, and he is cute!!!!).  Thank goodness the girls haven't discovered him yet.  The most wonderful thing I can say about this young man is he is a nice guy.  Really, a very nice kid, so is his Brother. Eeeks, why do I always go off topic?  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:56:35 pm »
Wow Brian!
You surprised me about the racing pigeons!
 I had just assumed you knew some stuff about racers, not that you actually race them! We also, occasionally, used the widowhood method. I knew about the clocking method used nowadays but didnt mention it as I didnt think anybody would have understood how it actually works. Last time dad looked into the new method of clocking it would've cast about 1400$ to get started. The club now has most members using the readers instaed of stamp clocks. As a matter of fact, last I heard, the old clocks were kind of a pain in the neck at the clock readings.
 Anyways, my white racers are Jansens!...I keep saying I'm gonna buy some new stock to breed into what I have now but I still havent gotten around to it. Dad, when he raced, never did buy or sell a pigeon. He always did good tho.
 Guess what? Sitting right next to me is a portrait of "GI Joe"
Band number USA 43 SC 6390. This pigeon is accredited with saving over 1000 lives of British troops during WW2! In 1948 this bird was shipped to London where he was cited and awarded the "Dicken Medal for gallantry"..GI Joe is the ONLY bird or animal in the USA EVER to recieve this high award.
You can Google to find more about him.
 And some people only know pigeons as "Poopers on Laundry".
 Anyways, Let me know how you do in this racing season.

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
peacocks are right up there with goats in my book.  make sure you don't have any neighbors for a mile or so around.  they'll be calling the police on you when they hear your "children" screaming!!

cindi, if you decide you need to go the AB route, they make a medicated chick feed.  at least you can get it here.  it's a bit easier than the meds in the water.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 10:20:36 pm »
>>Anyways, my white racers are Jansens!...I keep saying I'm gonna buy some new stock to breed into what I have now but I still havent gotten around to it. Dad, when he raced, never did buy or sell a pigeon. He always did good tho.

Jansens are good stock.  If you know your animal husbandry you don't need to buy or sell a bird.  I use both in-breeding and line-breeding to develop my stock.  All substandard birds end up in the pot.  If a turkey had as much breast meat for its size as a pigeon does it would have 1/2 again the amount of breast meat that it does.

I race Sams--there are only 2 lofts of them in the USA, it is a line of birds developed from a couple of old feral track birds and mated to Jansens and a number of other Belgium strains.  They come in 2 basic colors--blue and red.  1/2 my flock are mealies (aka silvers or red bars).  Sams were developed by my childhood friend who has had pigeons since I was 10--the next year I got into bees.  I helped him with his pigeons and he helped me with my bees.  I traded 2 beehives for 8 birds and now have 16.  So, in our sunset years we've both gone back to our youth with having both bees and pigeons.  I'm the bee "Expert" and he's the pigeon expert. 

anything