Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A few questions about the Honey Super Cell frames  (Read 13808 times)

Offline firetool

• House Bee
A few questions about the Honey Super Cell frames
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:53:37 am »
 I have been thinking about getting some of the Honey Super cell frames, The ones that are fully drawn out! I would like to know if I could give the bees the perco Drone frames to lay some drones in so that I can pull these from time to time to help controll the Mites. Will this cause the bees problems with the small cell frames? I would also like to know if I start them in one hive body on the HSC frames! Could I add another hive body with small cell foundation after the new smaller bees have starting emerging? So that I could faze out the HSC frames. I was also wondering, if the brood boxes are small cell foundation, would it hurt to have the honey supers with regular size foundation for the honey storage? I would have a queen excluder on it to keep the queen out!
Thanks Brian
PS Hi all it has been a little while sence I was last here. Looks like the sight has been growing still.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: A few questions about the Honey Super Cell frames
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:22:50 am »
I have been thinking about getting some of the Honey Super cell frames, The ones that are fully drawn out! I would like to know if I could give the bees the perco Drone frames to lay some drones in so that I can pull these from time to time to help controll the Mites. Will this cause the bees problems with the small cell frames?
That's exactly what I do.  You can either use a Pierco drone frame or just a foundationless frame.  It gives them  a place to draw comb and make drones.

I would also like to know if I start them in one hive body on the HSC frames! Could I add another hive body with small cell foundation after the new smaller bees have starting emerging? So that I could faze out the HSC frames.
I would wait a couple of brood cycles.  It is not only about the small bees hatching, but also the dieing off of the large bees.

I was also wondering, if the brood boxes are small cell foundation, would it hurt to have the honey supers with regular size foundation for the honey storage? I would have a queen excluder on it to keep the queen out!

Not a problem,  in fact larger cells make extracting easier.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:19:53 am »
Thanks Rob for the response It was helpful. Does any body have any statements as to the HSC and how they have worked for you?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:51 pm »
> I have been thinking about getting some of the Honey Super cell frames, The ones that are fully drawn out! I would like to know if I could give the bees the perco Drone frames to lay some drones in so that I can pull these from time to time to help controll the Mites.

You can.  I haven't found it necessary with small cell.  But it's a good idea to have a plan in case you do.

> Will this cause the bees problems with the small cell frames?

Not at all.

> I would also like to know if I start them in one hive body on the HSC frames! Could I add another hive body with small cell foundation after the new smaller bees have starting emerging?

That's typically what most people do.

> So that I could faze out the HSC frames.

I think you'll find once they are accepted it's VERY nice to have fully drawn practically indestructible comb.

> I was also wondering, if the brood boxes are small cell foundation, would it hurt to have the honey supers with regular size foundation for the honey storage?

I don't recommend it, but you could.

> I would have a queen excluder on it to keep the queen out!

And I wouldn't.

As far as the Honey Super Cell, the bees are resistant to using it.  You have to give them nowhere else to go.  I'd wait on the drone frames until they are using most of the Honey Super Cell.  They need to have no other choices before they will use it.  Once they have polished it and used it, they use it just like any other comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:49:05 am »
Michael,
   Is the best way to keep them from going any were to put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive?
  Thanks, Brian

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:23 pm »
>Is the best way to keep them from going any were to put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive?

Some people have done that to prevent them from absconding while they get used to the honey super cell.  I have never done it, but you could if you like.  Once they start rearing brood, you should remove it.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michituck

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:29:31 pm »
Did someone say they want to buy some supercell????
My bees did everything to avoid it when I tried it last year.
It's been sitting in the garage since then.

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:23:18 pm »
Honey Super for sale. Where do you live.  Tony

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:00 am »
Honey Super for sale. Where do you live.  Tony

You looking to buy or sell?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:43 pm »
Buy. I had good luck after the first month, once I got all the wood frames out. I live near Oswego NY. How many do you have?  Tony

mudkake@hughes.net

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:56 am »
Some notes on doing the HSC with Drone Comb. Put your drone comb on the outside edges. Drones are laid on the outer edges of hives by queens preferably.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline FDEldredge

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:22:55 am »
I just gave HSC a call because it states they are out of stock. A very nice man by the name of Max answered and said they were moving the molds from China to Ohio and he took my name and phone number down. Apparently there is a bee equipment supplier in Ohio that will be selling these sometime in the future.
So that's just an update to those looking to get some.

Or you can just call the number of the website.

Sort of sounds like it might be some time.
I may have to look elsewhere for a bit.

-F SLC, Utah