Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Syrup in Honey????  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
Sugar Syrup in Honey????
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:19:35 pm »
Hey all.  Local bee club meeting last night caught me off guard.  A "veteran" told us to never feed a hive with a super on it.  Here's what I've been doing.  I had an excellent honey last year and am worried that it might have been mixed with sugar syrup.  Explanation will be long....bear with me...it may be helpful to a lot of us.  Here goes:

In mid September I begin to feed heavily (one hive body, winter feed super, and then top feeder).  Weather is cool so queen slows down laying and most sugar syrup is stored in the winter feed super.  My thought is that the bees will store enough to overwinter and will be able to process the syrup before cold weather sets in.  Come spring time I again start feeding heavily and quickly with the same hive body, winter super, and top feeder in place.  I feed heavily and quickly so that the bees have no choice but to store and begin spring buildup.  Once their winter feed super is nice and heavy I'll remove the feed, wait a couple of weeks and then I add another super on top of the hive body always moving the winter feed super to the very top.  So, to keep it simple, the bees have one super that is always theirs and it never comes off the hive.  Everything added between it and the hive body is considered surplus and I take it in the first week of September.  I can do this without guilt because I know that I always have a winter feed super full and ready to go.  Question is.....would / could the bees move the sugar from their winter super on the very top, down into my surplus honey supers???  If so, I can take their winter feed super off at the first sign of natural flow BUT, how do I store it and maintain proper humidity so it doesn't dry out or get soggy and moldy?

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
Re: Sugar Syrup in Honey????
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 02:46:59 am »
I'll preface my comments with, "this is just my opinion" but as I see it, the bees process the available nectar or sugar solution you provide into honey.  They don't store sugar water in cells, they store honey.  If you've found a way to help them make it faster, good for you.

I recognize that many have strong opinions on this but as I see it, bees make honey.  It's a bit like buying sugar.  You can purchase "pure cane sugar from Hawaii, or sugar made from beets in Idaho.  It's the same product in the end.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Sugar Syrup in Honey????
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:22:35 am »
  Come spring time I again start feeding heavily and quickly with the same hive body, winter super, and top feeder in place.  I feed heavily and quickly so that the bees have no choice but to store and begin spring buildup. 

Once their winter feed super is nice and heavy I'll remove the feed, wait a couple of weeks and then I add another super on top of the hive body always moving the winter feed super to the very topSo, to keep it simple, the bees have one super that is always theirs and it never comes off the hive

Strange system, far from simple? One super allways vainly topmost?

What I have done whole my life. Our bees live with sugar from Sptember to end of may. When most brood have hacthed I took honey from brood boxes away, and then feed on average 20 kg sugar for winter with top feeder. Bees have just time to cap storess. Feeding happens during one week.  - This is level of Anchorage.

Cleansing flight happens in Marsh. Normally hives has enough food that I need not to do nothing untill in April. But I check food weight and I took capped frames from another hives if necessary.

Bees consume their sugarstores allmost to the end. Allways they need one or two whole frame full of food in spring.
From our researches balance hive it was seen that hive consumes 4 lbs during one week for spring build up. In autumn it consumed  1 lbs per month.

When food is under safe limit, I give more food, but not heavy feeding. Most of all food restrict the room of brood space.

When You have vain store box on the top it takes best brood area away from bees in spring. In sumer it is vain when you need to lift it all the time wehn you need something to do.

When summer comes, there is no need to keep sugar store for bees because they have their honey stores all the time.

anything