Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: General Quwstions  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Barnabus

• New Bee
General Quwstions
« on: June 23, 2005, 05:55:08 pm »
Hi Everyone:
Sure hope everyones bees are doing well. Getting hot here in NC but it's that time of the year.

A couple of questions please!

When a virgin queens flies to get mated will she mate with any drone or do they only mate with their same specises?

I remember reading on this forum about a method to force the working bees in a hive to reorentate themselves when you move the hive a short distance. Could someone please repost that method? I tried to find it but no sucess as of this writeing.

Michical Or Finsky
You indicated when you make a split it is advisable to put the split in a small nuc (3 frame) so they want have so much room to take care of therefore devoting more time to expanding the brood.   When they get those three frames about full do you transfer them to a full size box or do you step them up to a 5 frame box?

When introducing a new Queen, how long do you wait to release her if the bees haven't  released her? There are many bees all over the queen cage and the don't seem adgitated. I actually brushed them aside with my bare hand to see if they had released her.

I guess thats enough don't want to wear out my welcome.

Thank very much
Barnabus

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: General Quwstions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 06:03:40 pm »
Quote from: Barnabus
When a virgin queens flies to get mated will she mate with any drone or do they only mate with their same specises?

As long as she is a honey bee.

Quote from: Barnabus
I remember reading on this forum about a method to force the working bees in a hive to reorentate themselves when you move the hive a short distance. Could someone please repost that method? I tried to find it but no sucess as of this writeing.

I believe it was placing a log or a bunch of brush (grass) in front of the entrance so the bees will know there is something different and reveiw what they have to look for on their return.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Barnabus

• New Bee
Queen release
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 12:02:51 pm »
Hi:

I released the Queen this morning and she went down between the frames with the brood serveral of the bees that were around her went with her. She was in the hive in the queen cage for 3 1/2 days. I sure hope that is enough time for them to except her.

Hope someone answers the rest of my questions.

Barnabus

anything