Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: yellow jackets  (Read 2271 times)

Offline tanam

• New Bee
yellow jackets
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:06:35 am »
Hi - we have just had a whole hive wiped out by yellow jackets, how can we protect the remaining one?
Thanks Tara :'(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: yellow jackets
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:48:27 am »
Please list your location. Are these Giant Japanese hornets? If so you will need to find their nest if possible and kill it. I don't know your location, your hive set up, sbb? What are your temps right now? I'm thinking you can use an entrance reducer, to minimize the entrance hole so that the hornets can't enter and kill the bees to get to the larvae, assuming you are dealing with predacious hornets.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: yellow jackets
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:29:04 pm »
Tara, awe, that is horrible.  I guess some areas have really bad, big yellowjackets.  I have had dealings with ones, but they don't devastate an entire hive, I feel badly for you.  I am sure you will get good responses on how to protect your hive from people who deal with the really bad ones.  I think like JP said, it must be the Giant Japanese hornet, it sounds like a really nasty, the nastiest of the nasty.  Good luck, I wish you well, have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything