Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you consider "raw" honey?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
What do you consider "raw" honey?
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:58:56 am »
I have looked at websites selling honey that they call raw.  They are saying that it is unfiltered.  Does this mean that they are bottling from the extractor?  Could someone doing "crush and strain" call their honey "raw"?  I thought "raw" meant never heated.

What do you all charge for a pint canning jar or a half pint canning jar?

Thanks.

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Re: What do you consider "raw" honey?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:41:30 am »
I think raw honey is not filtering out the pollen and other good stuff. If you heat the honey it is pasteurised. I have 8oz. for $4.00, 16oz. $6.00, 20oz. fliptop for $8.00, They pay and don't complain.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:35 am »
Would using the 600 micron filter leave the pollen? 

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:50 am »
According to http://www.pollenuk.co.uk/aero/pm/WIP.htm, pollen is 15 to 100 microns in size.  That's good to know for filtering.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:06 am »
I think the term raw implies that the honey is not super filtered, nor heated, crush and strain would definitely fall under the heading of raw. I extract mine it comes out of the extractor's honey gate, through one of my micron filters and into a 5 gallon bucket, through that gate and bottled raw.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:27:57 am »
this is a loaded question. You ask 10 different people you will get 11 different answers and 9 arguments.  :-D I call raw honey. Honey that has not been heated to high temps to keep it from crystallizing on the store shelf and to make it easier to shove thru a series of filters. I sell what I call raw honey straight out of the extractor and into a small bucket top filter.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:34:18 am »
this is a loaded question. You ask 10 different people you will get 11 different answers and 9 arguments.

I agree with you there.  I've seen this question come up on this forum more times than I can count and they all have various answers.  When I think of raw honey, I think of other things raw.  Raw eggs, raw meat, etc.  What makes things like that not raw...heat and cooking.  Raw honey = no heat.  Raw and unfiltered = no heat and no filter.  I think when putting something like that on the jar, you need to think of two distinct processes and not combining it all into one group.  Just my opinion.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')