Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees ever store pollen patty in cells?  (Read 9883 times)

Offline BAH

• House Bee
Re: Do bees ever store pollen patty in cells?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:24 am »
I have received the waited email; He stated that the pollen patty is fed directly to the bees. His team has done the fluorescent dye in numerous batches but has never seen it stored in the combs, but did find it in the adults and even in the older larvae. The bees seem to recognize it as a direct food source and consume it when needed and pass it to each other. Study was done and recorded and I was invited to read their findings :lol: excited! This semester can not start up soon enough! Got some lab work I been wanting to do since last month!

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 11:19:36 am »
Cool, I hope you find something helpful with your lab work.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 11:51:17 am »

But still haven't seen anything about throwing away pollen, just to throw it away. If you have this happening, may wanna check what you are feeding them. Thanks for that push, didn't realize that this could happen. But would still like to know your source, we learn something new everyday and my day just started 2 hours ago! :)

Hi. Yuo speak now something what you do not know.

I have nursed bees 50 yerars and Michael quite much too.
I have seen a video, how the forager unload thje pollen into cell.
A forager drops directly the pollen load to the cell. It push it off with middle leg.
Then nurser bees back the pollen tighly ontpo cell bottom.

When bees gather pollen, they mix it there 25-50% honey that they can tap the ball.

And I have seen so much pollen patty that I know what they do. I feed every spring about 100 kg patty to bees.

There are some good reports about pollen patty feeding, and no one says that it will stored.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »
Thank you cklspencer, I only hope it will yield good result. Didn't doubt you but in the lab facts is what counts, hope you understand.

Finski please reread thread and links! Thank you
In response to your to what I know... well one can only know what one knows! Thank you for your rude comment!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »

Finski please reread thread and links! Thank you

Thanks, but I have read all sensible reports about honey bee nutrition from internet. Internet is full all kinds of hobby carbage like Scottish beekeeper's.

The first scientific researches with pollen patty were in 1977, when they compared and tested different

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 02:42:45 pm »
Was addressing the fact of the matter of what I know. But you obviously skip the post about learning and looking for facts. I will not address the issue no further. Please feel free to pm me anytime with information on your works and books you have written, would've said doctrine but didn't think that word was needed. So let please let me recap; I am almost certain that pollen substitute is not stored and will read the findings myself, I only know what lab studies I have read/ sites I have visited, and this is my first year handling bees in the field. Wow talk about trying to stay on track. Hence I only know what I know and am not ignorant to that fact. Thank you have a great day Sir, see you in my pm. Wonder if the bee space idea came as a shocker to some???

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:03 pm »
Thank you cklspencer, I only hope it will yield good result. Didn't doubt you but in the lab facts is what counts, hope you understand.

I understand, I'm the same way. I'm just tiered of looking it up over and over again. I have started to compile the good info I find into evernote so that I can just grab it and link to it but I still have a bunch I need to link over. I would be really interested to here what you will be doing. Are you going to be here in UT doing it or just working with someone here?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
Critical point in larva feeding

I wrote an article about pollen nutrition of nursing bees to Finnish beekeeping magazine this Spring.

I realized one thing in that feeding.

A worker larva is fed 5 days. It eates more after capping too, but the feeding...

A worker larva grows from egg to pupa 1000 times and a queen 1500 times.
First 3 days a larva is quite small but a real jump happens during last 3 days.
That jump, where a larva gets 80% of its weight in 3 days is huge.
And it needs a lot from nurser bees when they react on continuous feeding.

You may imagine for example,  if you put 400 hives onto truck and you start to transfer them 500 kilometres and transfer mesh are open during journey? + loding and unloding.

What do you think? How much the bee colony stands that kind of disturbance?

No wonder that amount of brood start to decline when pollination transportation begins from pasture to pasture

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
To; Cklspencer, I attend the University of Tennessee. I was doing research on soil samples here, working mostly with earthworms testing them for traces of the high protein feed fed to cattle and seeing if the soil was handling the "biodegrades" of the modified feeds. To our dismay we found that what the cattle passes, even though they have four stomachs, was not being fully absorbed. Which had been expected, but it was how much, not that it didn't absorb all. This made me question my colleagues about the bees. I had seen them doing studies on CCD and was quite astonished that not only bees were disappearing but also other critters as well. In a pasture of approx 38 acres we were losing worms and grubs. The soil had high amounts of trace minerals, highest we had seen anyway. Grass and other plants were growing very well. Well skipping to what I can say, because I know, I think it all may be linked somehow. Now I have to get the evidence, so I intend to get with the a botany team with my theory and see where it takes me. Not saying this will lead to anything conclusive, but hey it's research  :-D If it pans out maybe I get my PhD!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:53 am »
I have a biology researcher education. I have noticed in these forum pages that beeks are not able to understand beekeeping researches. Even if I link original reseaches, guys do no read them. They prefer to believe on old humbug and "I heard " -methods.  Like for example how usefull is to invert sugar before feeding. Or why you pay 3-fold price for inverted sugar even if bees do not need it inverted.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 03:06:05 am »
Critical point in larva feeding
I realized one thing in that feeding.

A worker larva is fed 5 days. It eates more after capping too, but the feeding...

A worker larva grows from egg to pupa 1000 times and a queen 1500 times.

for clarification purposes,what do you mean by this, that a pupae grows 1000% and a queen grows 1500% from the egg to pupae stage?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 04:05:15 am »
Larva grows when nurser bees feed them.
Not pupa.
100% = douple size.
1000% = 10 times.

I did not used percents.

anything