Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Third tray of Apiguard?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Third tray of Apiguard?
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:56:16 am »
OK.  You regulars on here know I have been fighting varroa mites this fall.  I did 2 powdered sugar shakes one week apart and then followed up almost immediately with Apiguard.  I have put on two trays as directed 2 weeks apart.  17 days after putting on the second tray I did a mite count and it was every bit as high as when I first started fighting the critters 7 weeks ago-- 150 to 200 mite drop in 24 hrs.  Maybe I didn't have the hive closed up good enough for the Apiguard to do any good.

We are still having pretty warm weather here.  Highs in the 70s with lows in high 40s/low 50s.  Going to be in the low 80s  tomorrow.  Should I put on a third tray of Apiguard?  Would that hurt the bees?   Or should I just wait for brood production to stop and do an oxalic treatment in December/January?  I am seeing lots of DWV--see 10-20 crawling out front every day.

linda d

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Third tray of Apiguard?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:57 am »
First... don't PANIC!!!

Higher mite drops during and shortly after are common and an indication that the treatment is working. I myself have never used Apiguard so can't tell you for sure but it seems to me that you should use as directed and tally at the outcome.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:17:35 am »
i would not use the 3rd tray.  all mite treatments cause some stress to the hive.  thymol seems to be less harsh, but we are going into winter and do not want to stress the hive more than necessary.

i don't know what your winter temps are like, but a break in the brood cycle will take care of the rest of the mites for the time being.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
Another sugar shake would be better than a 3rd tray of apiguard.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:47 pm »
Thanks all.  I think I will just go with some grease patties w/mineral salt and wintergreen for the winter and see if they make it through, which I think is ify at this point.  :-P
linda d

anything