Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?  (Read 302356 times)

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2006, 02:54:48 pm »
I usually use my name in my usernames,- you can't tell it's a name, since it's a word too. All of my stuff has 'summer' in it somewhere. Hee hee.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Denise

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2006, 03:19:21 pm »
I got lucky on this forum that my first name hadn't been taken. What a deal. On most other forums I use Office Goddess. Kind of self-explanitory. I work as an office manager. I am the Goddess of the office.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:23 pm »
I use "tillie" because my last name is Tillman and my friends in college thought it was funny to call me tillie.  Nobody calls me that anymore, but I often use it on forum postings....or some variation of it.

Hope the majority of my posts won't be as boring as this explanation I've just given! 8)

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 12:08:44 pm »
Quote from: Denise
I got lucky on this forum that my first name hadn't been taken. What a deal. On most other forums I use Office Goddess. Kind of self-explanitory. I work as an office manager. I am the Goddess of the office.

I have a friend who raises goats; she has a hat that saya 'farm goddess'.  I love it!
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 02:06:03 pm »
I was just reading through this post, seeing the different avatars people use - as well as the other forum avatars. I think it is interesting which ones people choose, whether from my limited libraries or from elsewhere - the connection that avatars and posts make is unique - after reading a few dozen messages from everyone, we really get to know some intimate things, the stuff that makes us all so individual.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 05:30:42 pm »
Understudy.

Because of my theater background, also the Understudy is always having to learn new things.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2006, 06:09:32 pm »
Well, BEE C is what I use because I live in the province of British Columbia, Canada.  Proudly a westerner.  Secondly my first two hives have CARNIOLAN queens, and I will probably keep carniolans as they are supposed to winter better than italian queens up here.  I also am taking a queen breeding course and want to develop my own stock rather than import queens from Australia...I have read somewhere that mixing races of honeybees makes for wonky genetics, ie. more agressive tendencies and less hygienic behavior.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2006, 01:18:28 am »
I get asked about this name a lot. The full proper name is Zoot Rollo. It originated in the carefree atmosphere of my college experience ('71 - '75). Need I say more?

More recently I ressurected it during a brief career as an online gaming designer/playtester. It's just stayed with me ever since.

Cheers, Jim Evans

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2006, 12:34:25 am »
I install doors and hardware on commercial construction projects. I go on lots and lots of jobs for short periods of time. So quite a few people know me by sight but never really get to know my name.  When they go looking for me to get a key or something they just ask around for the doorman, because nobody knows who Greg is ( thats me by the way).
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2006, 08:03:16 am »
>Zoot: The full proper name is Zoot Rollo. It originated in the carefree atmosphere of my college experience ('71 - '75). Need I say more?

You must really be old if they were wearing Zoot suits when you went to college. ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2006, 12:01:58 pm »
Nah, we were just infatuated with the term.  It has a sort of manic energy to it (yes, I know..very un beekeeper-ish) that appealed to the young, rebel mentality of the time. And anyway, it was really subordinate to Rollo. As in Roll -o. One who rolls as it were...

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
Member name-kenyakate
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2006, 09:52:19 pm »
I chose kenyakate because I was in the Peace Corps in Kenya for 2 years, stayed on another 10 years (got married, had two kids), and returned(w/ my parents assistance) to the US in 1996. My son is named for his Kenyan grandfather (He keeps bees). In the Kimbeere language (the local tribal language), "bee" is "Njuki" so that is my son's name. In Kenya, you can be named after an occupation or an animal or if your mother saw a snake while she was pregnant, you may be named "njoka" or snake. The hives in Kenya were hollowed out tree trunks hoisted into large trees. Honey is a special treat so when offered some, you must accept or run the risk of insulting your host (they don't strain it so you have to spit out dead bees or swallow them!). In Kenya, beekeeping is strictly a man's job. I think I digressed....though someone might be interested!

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2006, 08:03:03 pm »
I grow carnivorous plants. Nepenthes just happens to be a genus of carnivorous plants. Tropical Pitcher plants more commonly known as monkey cups to. They get the biggest and are my favorite. Just dont have enough room for them.

Sadly though I wont be getting any Bee's until I get older, not enough time or money to invest!

Wasnt the Zoot suit sported by Many young rebelious Teenagers in The 40's-50's in the states in the south west in disobediance to the textile and other rashons?

Cheers
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2006, 08:13:18 pm »
Warning Beemaster, Nepenthes, is a refugee from http://www.terraforums.com. Another carnivorous plant freak who would probably like nothing more than to feed bees to his Neps. ;)

Of course I have no idea how I am aware of that, none at all.

Do you have a Maxima Trunchata you would trade for some hive boxes?

;)

Welcome aboard. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2006, 09:36:03 pm »
:shock:

I wish! I havent been growing for long and have a bunch of common CP's Basicaly every thing except for Pings. and some of the more uncommon like Heli's and Ceph's.

LOL I would love to feed bees to the Sarr's and watch them struggle!!  :twisted:

Noooo I wouldnt do that, im just kidding But Ill be devouring the boards when ever I can to get information on keeping bee's Ive got a grasp on  how to care for them. But theirs still so much to learn!

They are definetaly harder than ants! and CP's Combined!

Oh yea, Im some what into social insects hence bee's! I have a few Camponotus queens (carpenter ant queens) Incubating!

Cheers
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline melipona

• New Bee
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2006, 08:41:52 am »
I chose my user name, Melipona, because it is the genera into which native American honeybees are classified.  I am an Indian, and I care about Native causes, including conservation of species and preservation of Native traditions.

Hence, my name :)
Dat rosa mel apibus.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2006, 10:49:11 am »
American Indian or east Indian? I used to know a Nez Perce Beekeeper who was something of a legend back in Idaho.

As for the Zoot suit: it certainly became the attire de jour for the rebellious youth of the late 40's and 50's but the origin of the notoriety of the zoot suit no doubt stemmed from the "zoot suit riots" in LA in '41 (?).
I'm too tired this morning to search and attach any links but there should be a bunch in google (or you could even go to the library). It was a big to-do concerning hundreds of young mexicans and chicanos (the zoot suiters) and hundreds of american sailors and army personel who went into LA to supress a "mexican crime wave".

Offline melipona

• New Bee
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2006, 11:27:44 am »
American Indian.  Tsalagi, to be exact.  I am biracial; my father was Indian and my mom is white (although there are some rumors of Indian ancestry in her family also.)
Dat rosa mel apibus.

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2006, 01:20:35 pm »
O-si-yo
melipona
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2006, 01:34:41 pm »
this is my aim name chosen for an obvious reason. people who know me say i should have more than one name (such as randydoestaxreturns since i am also a CPA or randykeepsbees).
i do a lot of different things(consider that the only thing i do that remotely resembles a full time job is driving a school bus) so that would just get confusing.

anything