Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New queens, hives drones?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
New queens, hives drones?
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:29:01 am »
O.K. I have a really basic question.  Will a new queen breed with drones from her own hive?  I would assume that once all were out flying around she wouldn't know the difference, but heaven knows I have been wrong in my assumptions before.  I ask because I removed a huge hive from a house about to be torn down, late in the year here in Iowa I know, but had nothing to lose.  The queen apparently bought the farm in transit, but I have seen queen cells.  I don't know how many drones are out in the world here in Iowa now, but this hive has a bunch of big healthy looking guys ready to go.  Thus my question.

The hive really took a hit, but has settled down, become very active and is just sucking down the sugar syrup.  We are also in the middle of the goldenrod flow now.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: New queens, hives drones?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:43:24 pm »
I would think that yes, a queen would tap any drone out there including if he was from her hive.   So this hive still has drones?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:55 am »
Inbreeding does occur but is not what nature has intended. I hear some of the most wicked hives out there are due to inbreeding.

...JP 
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »
Yes, this hive still does.  It had tons a couple of weeks ago when I removed it, and a lot of drone capped brood at that point too.  I guess since it was such a big established hive it was casting off a lot of drones late in the season to spread it's genes around.  None of my hives at home (which are all small in comparison because I just started this year) have produced anything even close to this many drones (even proportionately).

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »
And JP - thanks a bunch.  This hive is already wicked.  I was hoping they would calm down a bit, but noooo...  I got stung twice yesterday adjusting their lid, these girls go for my long hair and burrow in so you can't brush them off.  Do you ever get bees in your beard? :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »
I don't get many in my beard, but when I do its quite the buffer, kinda like mosquito proof netting.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
The queen has no idea what drones are from her hive.  The mechanism that skews the odds in favor of other drones is that her drones will usually fly a shorter distance to a DCA than she will.  This is no guarantee, just something that improves the odds.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything