Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will I have any problems by facing my hives toward my azalea bushes.  (Read 1186 times)

Offline emarketwiz

• New Bee
I live on a large lake and both sides of my yard have huge azalea bush hedges that pretty much run the entire property line.  A LOT of azaleas.  Behind these are tall pine trees which line my neighbors yard.  I do have an acre (probably .4 acre in the backyard) and have a chicken coop on the other side of the yard.  I am picking up two NUC's tomorrow and have planned on facing the hives toward the hedge of azalea bushes on the opposite side of the yard from the chickens and about three feet away from the bushes.  The hives will be facing southeast.  I thought that bees didn't care for azaleas but I see many blogs and other information saying that they do get into azaleas and can produce honey that contains grayanotoxins.  Any knowledge on this subject will be much appreciated.  

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:05:01 am by emarketwiz »
Ken Poindexter
SLIGHTLY "BEE"MUSED

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Re: Will I have any problems by facing my hives toward my azalea bushes.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:17 pm »
They should be fine as long as they have plenty of room to enter and exit and the hives are not right up against the bushes.  Facing southwest should be fine too!

Good luck and enjoy your nucs and let us how it goes. 

David

Offline emarketwiz

• New Bee
Re: Will I have any problems by facing my hives toward my azalea bushes.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »
Thanks David!
Ken Poindexter
SLIGHTLY "BEE"MUSED

anything